Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011 | 09:12 PM
balloo
|
Tourer
Default Front Wheel Bearings

Is there any average mileage when the front wheel bearings should be replaced?

Should these bearings be lubed, or re-packed from time to time?

Bike is at the dealer for some service work, and they called and said "my tech. said that there is a clicking sound when moving the front wheel, and they wondered if I had heard anything - I said no, seems the same as it always has - they said wanted my permission to remove the wheel and check the bearings to see if there was a flat spot or spots, also said we have the bearings in stock if there are needed" I told them to go ahead and do what needed to be done. I bet my bill will include new bearings!

I had them put new tires on about two weeks ago, and I would think they should have noticed anything at that time - - I don't want to get ripped off, but then I sure do not want to have a problem.

I have no skills for working on the bike myself, so take the word of the shop when they tell me something is needed other than what I took the bike in for.

It's a 2008, 1200 custom. Has 12,000 miles.
Thanks,
Balloo

Old 10-25-2011 | 09:30 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member

Guess it all depends on if you trust the Service Dept. You can always go in and have them show you the problem before you ok the work. But, it is possible that the bearing(s) were damaged during the recent tire change and are now making noise.

Old 10-25-2011 | 09:44 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Originally Posted by balloo

Should these bearings be lubed, or re-packed from time to time?

Bike is at the dealer for some service work, and they called and said "my tech. said that there is a clicking sound when moving the front wheel, and they wondered if I had heard anything - I said no, seems the same as it always has - they said wanted my permission to remove the wheel and check the bearings to see if there was a flat spot or spots, also said we have the bearings in stock if there are needed" I told them to go ahead and do what needed to be done. I bet my bill will include new bearings!

I had them put new tires on about two weeks ago, and I would think they should have noticed anything at that time - - I don't want to get ripped off, but then I sure do not want to have a problem.

I have no skills for working on the bike myself, so take the word of the shop when they tell me something is needed other than what I took the bike in for.

It's a 2008, 1200 custom. Has 12,000 miles.
Thanks,
Balloo
I have an 09 Sportster with 15,000 mi. I took it in to the dealer to have new front and rear tires installed. Both my front and rear wheel bearings were shot. The service Mgr took me back and had me feel both sets before they took them out of the wheels. This dealer is pretty thorough, but it was pretty easy to feel that they were bad. He was suprised that they were bad @ 15K miles and even more suprised that I didn't notice while riding. I think they may have been bad or under-lubed from the factory. In hind sight I did notice they were bad, but I thought what I was feeling was bad, worn-out tires. Live and learn.

Old 10-26-2011 | 10:20 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior

you should repack them everytime you change your tires....thats what I have always have done on all my bikes.

Old 10-26-2011 | 10:30 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by balloo
Uhmm... this question has not been answered yet... I don't have the service manual with me right now.. but I am curious about it since I want to replace both my front/rear wheel bearings and fork stem bearings ... sorry for hijacking the thread but the next question I know will also help you / others... where can I get the best prices online for wheel/stem bearings? also.. which one is the best brand / model ?? thanks!

Old 10-26-2011 | 10:33 AM
cavalier2000
Tourer

Pretty much when you remove your rim to put a new tire on... just replace the bearing.

Old 10-26-2011 | 11:14 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by joebotics
Uhmm... this question has not been answered yet... I don't have the service manual with me right now.. but I am curious about it since I want to replace both my front/rear wheel bearings and fork stem bearings ... sorry for hijacking the thread but the next question I know will also help you / others... where can I get the best prices online for wheel/stem bearings? also.. which one is the best brand / model ?? thanks!
On the sealed bearings (like the wheels), they only need replaced when they go bad. No one can give a definitive mileage because it could be 15k, or 150k...it just depends. You can check them for freeplay and binding/pitting, but other than that it's a waiting game.

The neck/swingarm bearings are tapered roller bearings. These need to be repacked with grease from time to time. When you perform that service, you always check to make sure the rollers operate smoothly and don't bind, as well as the rollers and races are free of pitting or gouging. Then replace if needed.

So in essence, if they aren't broken you don't need new ones. You have to inspect them to determine whether they still operate ok or not.

Timken makes good roller bearings, not sure about sealed ball bearings on where to get those.

Originally Posted by cavalier2000
Pretty much when you remove your rim to put a new tire on... just replace the bearing.
This is extraordinary overkill, and it is a waste of money if your bearings are still good. Chances are you'll go at least 3 tires MINIMUM before you need new bearings unless something is wrong. Why spend the cash to remove and replace them if they are perfectly fine?!

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 10-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2011 | 01:12 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

With so many reports of these crappy Chinese bearings going bad with as little as 6000 miles on them, I'm just planning to replace wheel bearings with every tire change.

All ***** bearings are $20 for a full set and they are better than the Chinese junk, for that little cost, I'd just as soon have the peace of mind.

Old 10-26-2011 | 01:26 PM
cavalier2000
Tourer

Pretty much my thoughts. $20 an you already have the damn wheel off. This is saying you have the ability to do it yourself. $20 is cheap piece of mind

Old 10-26-2011 | 01:55 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
With so many reports of these crappy Chinese bearings going bad with as little as 6000 miles on them, I'm just planning to replace wheel bearings with every tire change.

All ***** bearings are $20 for a full set and they are better than the Chinese junk, for that little cost, I'd just as soon have the peace of mind.

Hey Para... is still the kit you are talking about by any chance?:

http://www.amazon.com/All-*****-Whee.../dp/B0036GGFFE

if not. can you please provide a link if possible to that particular kit you bought?.. thanks!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearings