Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saying....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
armyhooah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just saying....

Well I had the bright idea to change my quiet Vance and Hines Shortshot baffles to standard. I bought the pipes with the QB already in the pipes, so I had no real idea how to change them. Boy did I learn the hard way.

First, awhile back my exhaust bolts(2 of them fell out) so I got new ones but they was a bit to long and indented the pipes. I took the heat shields off, much easier than putting them back on. Then tried to pull the baffles out, no go. I had to take an L bracket and screw it into the inside of the baffle in the welded nut and beat it out with a sledge, 4lb. That didn't happen until about 2 hours of twisting and pulling on the baffles.

On a lighter note! I am much happier with the new sound and the much louder sound of the standard baffles.

End Rant....

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armyhooah
Well I had the bright idea to change my quiet Vance and Hines Shortshot baffles to standard. I bought the pipes with the QB already in the pipes, so I had no real idea how to change them. Boy did I learn the hard way.

First, awhile back my exhaust bolts(2 of them fell out) so I got new ones but they was a bit to long and indented the pipes. I took the heat shields off, much easier than putting them back on. Then tried to pull the baffles out, no go. I had to take an L bracket and screw it into the inside of the baffle in the welded nut and beat it out with a sledge, 4lb. That didn't happen until about 2 hours of twisting and pulling on the baffles.

On a lighter note! I am much happier with the new sound and the much louder sound of the standard baffles.
End Rant....
Been there..........TWICE !! I beat mine out with a hammer and large metal rod after trying to wiggle, turn, push, amd pull them out for several hours. Those Quiet Baffles are a witch to get out the first time and even worse the second time after being in there for 5000 mi. If you think one day that you want to put them back in, think again because you'll probably do what I did and go through the horor of removing them all over again. I too prefer the sound of the standard baffles. I have the Straightshots.