Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very bad wobbling while touring.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 PM
xcore
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very bad wobbling while touring.

Hey all, posted this in another forum, got some help but didnt really solve my problem. So I'm posting here again. Story goes:

Just got back from a short touring session with my mates. Problem is I can't keep up at times because my handlebars shake so bad at high speed that they all asked me to slow down incase something bad happens.

We go up to 99 miles/hr and anything more than 86 miles/hr makes my bike wobble so bad.

All of us feel that the main issue is my handlebars, 16 inch narrow ape hangers. I'm on mid controls.

Do you guys agree? My mates were suggesting a damper, wider triple trees and to lower my rear shock, getting a fat front tyre and fork brace but all of them feel that the problem will go if I change out my apes.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:32 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Do you have any sort of windshield? If not, it is probable that as speed builds up and it gets noisier and the wind blast gets stronger, you are holding onto the bars tighter and tighter. The bike needs to be able to move a little and your vice-like grip is stopping it! I had the same problems with my FX Super Glide way back when.

There are two solutions. Fit a windshield large enough to take the wind off your upper body. Use ear plugs. They are the best tuning aid known and a cure for many problems. They will kill the noise level and help you relax, so the bike can move once more.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-16-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM
ken rox
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86 miles and hour amkes almost 140km/h in my thinking and that wobble is pretty much normal. and i have an 2011 iron.
after that it becomes much more like riding a horse. it not only wobbles but jumps around.

change the front springs and the rear suspension (progressives and rk's you know) and you feel a difference. not much at those speeds but you'll feel the difference.
fatter tires won't do much good.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:46 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 493 Posts

You may want to check your wheel balance, as well as your steering neck bearings for the correct tightness. I have a 06XL1200, and it never wobbles no matter how fast I go.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wobbling and shaking at any speed is not normal for a Sportie. A little more information could help. Year and model? How many miles on it? Always start with the simple things first. Front tire, how badly worn is it? Do you have a laced front wheel? you may have loose spokes or a warped rim. The steering head bearings may need servicing (sloppy bearings will cause wobbles). Swing arm bearings may need servicing. Front and or rear wheel bearing may need to be replaced. I regularly run may XL above 160 kph and it's very stable and predictable.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM
xcore
Cruiser

My mates' were riding sportsters too and mine was the only one who wobbled so bad. My model is the 06 883L. Not using spokey rims. Any other advice?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser

Your rim/tire could be out of balance but at 86mph thats pretty tough to agree to. What size tire do you have on front and is the dot for balancing mounted at the correct place? Is it just your handlebars that wobble or also your front tire? If its just your handlebars then fill them up with lead shot that you can buy at walmart and its like 10$ for 20 pounds (you can also use sand or any rubberized material if you want). My 16inch narrow apes also shake a lot at 60mph or higher but Im replacing them soon so I haven't bothered to fix them.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may want to check for brake drag too. If your rotor is warped, even a little bit, you may feel that at high speed. I would suspect the front tire out of balance, I have 15,000 on my front and had to get it rebalanced cause it shook the whole bike at any speed over 65 MPH. I took my wheel off and it cost $8 to get it balanced at my local Yamaha shop.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Your bars and/or front end should not wobble like that, even at speeds over 100 mph. Adding a steering damper, fork brace, bar weights, etc. will not do anything other than MAYBE mask the real problem.

You need to check the neck bearings and fall-away adjustment, as well as tire/wheel balance. Also check the tire for cupping.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Your bars and/or front end should not wobble like that, even at speeds over 100 mph. Adding a steering damper, fork brace, bar weights, etc. will not do anything other than MAYBE mask the real problem.

You need to check the neck bearings and fall-away adjustment, as well as tire/wheel balance. Also check the tire for cupping.
+1

I run 16" apes and have no wobble at any speed. I can even let go of my bars completely at speeds in excess of 50mph and run straight and true.

Last edited by woodworking1; 10-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Very bad wobbling while touring.