Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dieseling Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Shouldnt have to worry about hyd lock if the rpm's are up. Its not like your pouring it in their. But its your bike and only do what you feel comfortable with.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

+1 on the Marvel Mystery Oil

Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Shouldnt have to worry about hyd lock if the rpm's are up. Its not like your pouring it in their. But its your bike and only do what you feel comfortable with.
I'm not particularly worried about it, I doubt I could get that much water in there with a spray bottle. I could rebuild it if it did anyways. I just was curious if I'm not shooting enough in to get the effect.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Thanks guys. I have actually tried this before. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I took a spray bottle (like you get 409 in or something like that) and set it to jet (narrow stream). Then I spray it straight into the carb underneath the slide so it'll go into the cylinders. I do all this while keeping the RPMs up. Should I spray a lot of quick shots? Or just a few here and there?

I know too much water/steam will hydrolock the engine. But a little, in theory will "steam clean" the cylinders. I just haven't had much luck with it. Any advice on technique?
The quantity of water should be enough to make the motor stumble but not stall out, when injected with the motor running at about 2000 rpm.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
The quantity of water should be enough to make the motor stumble but not stall out, when injected with the motor running at about 2000 rpm.
Thanks, you and Freebird always have good advice to give. I'll give it another shot this weekend when it's not raining and I'm not at school. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bike actually does the same thing in that it doesn't want to shut off when I want it to. I've tried seafoam and it worked for a short while, but it came right back. I'll have to try the water trick.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ripto
My bike actually does the same thing in that it doesn't want to shut off when I want it to. I've tried seafoam and it worked for a short while, but it came right back. I'll have to try the water trick.
It helped mine out. Just squirt it in there until you hear a little stumble. Make sure the engine is all warmed up before you do it, too.

The other thing that helped out was getting gas at a better station. For my bike, it will run 87, not all stations are the same. Had a few stations where it was a lot worse. I've found Marathon and Shell have the least problems with pump gas in my bike.

The only real solution I have found would be to bypass the PCV system and route to a filter/catch-can like they do in the automotive world (familiar with those kind of fab's from my Civic). The oil build up just cakes up the engine and gets baked on there no matter how hard you try. You shoulda seen the valve tops on my friend's Civic......ewwww.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would quit running cheap fuel in it. Your bike has high enough compression it will do much better with 92+ I would definitely do the water trick until it does better, and honestly, you might try running it like a scalded dog. Take it out for a hell run and rev it until the cams run out, that's usually the easiest way to get rid of carbon deposits.

Last edited by guitarman023; 02-29-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

here is a couple of tricks that might work....pull the plugs and dump a couple of ounces of seafoam in the holes turn it over a few times to mix it around (watch out it will squirt out of the spark plug holes..let it sit over night and turn it over again a few times, re install the plugs and start it up (outside) (it will smoke like crazy)...do that a few days in a row...if that doesn't work put some atf (auto transmision fluid) in a spray bottlle and squirt it in the intake while it running, spray it in fast so that you stall it...let it sit again and start it the next day, take it for a good drive to blow it out....it will make a huge mess so do it outside somewhere... if both of those things don't work it needs to come a part ....does the motor use oil??? bad guides will cause this problem...

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarman023
i would quit running cheap fuel in it. Your bike has high enough compression it will do much better with 92+ I would definitely do the water trick until it does better, and honestly, you might try running it like a scalded dog. Take it out for a hell run and rev it until the cams run out, that's usually the easiest way to get rid of carbon deposits.
Yeah this thread is interesting I tried 87 in my bike one time. It ran it, but I could tell the difference. 92+ for this guy and I've never had problem with fuel anywhere I went. Turkey hill, sunoco, sheetz, aplus, that guy who owns the old time fuel place. Etc it just isn't worth saving $1 to me.

Quick Reply: Dieseling Engine