Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with side mount plate light

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
SulphurDave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with side mount plate light

It really sucks to spend hours searching/reading threads and not come up with a clear answer so I'll start my own.

I'm trying to wire up my Ford Model A light on my side mount license plate bracket. I made a picture to make this pretty clear. I have a 11' Nightster with the factory side mount and led light. If this was your bike would you wire up the model A light to your existing wires from the factory led light and if yes how would you wire it up in specific (which wire goes where). You would essentally only have running lights on both the red part of the light and white light point down to license plate. Or would you disconnect that wiring harness from the old license plate wire and get rid of it all together and wire it up to the turn signal wiring to make the model A light function like it's supposed to (brake light and running light). If so, how would you wire it up in specific (which wire goes where)

Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Connect the black wire from the light to the blue wire on the bike. Connect the green wire from the light to the red/yellow wire on your bike. Connect the black ground from your bike to the philips head screw ground on the plate.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
SulphurDave
6th Gear

On my bike the turn signal wires are violet, blue and black (see above) and those wires go to the left turn signal still being used so I would be needing to tap into some wires somewhere to create a new set of wires going down to the Ford light.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SulphurDave
On my bike the turn signal wires are violet, blue and black (see above) and those wires go to the left turn signal still being used so I would be needing to tap into some wires somewhere to create a new set of wires going down to the Ford light.
You can get thoes clip on wire taps and that would work. Just make sure you don't have the Ford light hooked up to the turn singnal wire and only haveing it flash for one side would look funny IMO. So let me get this right-you want to use the stock rear light and the Ford light at the same time? I mean in some ways that might look funny.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
SulphurDave
6th Gear

That's why I also asked if I should even use the Ford light as a brake/turn because yes I'm still using the factory turn signals along with the Ford light.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Can you stuff the LEDs inside the Ford case?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
SulphurDave
6th Gear

Well I tried a few things until I blew a fuse but here's what I found out before that happened. If I hook up the green and black wires from the Ford light (not grounded by the screw) directly to the 2 black wires that I cut from the factory led side mount plate light I get: Both brake lights lit up at all times no matter if I press the brake lever or not and the Ford light both bulbs are lit and work normally except maybe a little dim? Not sure how bright they are supposed to be yet. And both turn signals will blink if I press the button but when I turn them off the brake light shines bright again like it was. Now.... if I unhook those 2 green/black wires from the Ford light and leave the other 2 black wires unhooked I get: Both brake lights lit up at all times again, of course the Ford light is unhooked but this makes the turn signals not work at all and just stay lit up bright as brake lights. So I figured well maybe those 2 black wires that went to the factory led light needs to make a complete circuit for everything to work normally minus the Ford light. So I just hooked up the 2 black wires to themselves and boom, blew the accessory fuse. So now... no matter if any of those wires are hooked up or not I get the dim running lights now but no brake lights at all. This is with a blown accessory fuse though and don't have any replacements right now. After I get more fuses where should I start?

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
SulphurDave
6th Gear

Forget the stupid Ford light I got bigger problems I'm still trying to figure out for the past 4 days. I can't for the life of me get the damn brake lights to go off. I hooked everything back up the way it was 4 days ago before I unhooked the side mount light and it's like the tail light ghost came and messed with my ****. I mean all I did was unhook the side mount light?!$& What could possibly happen from taking the side mount license plate bracket off that now makes my brake lights shine bright all the time???? I even hooked the side mount led light back up... still brake lights won't go off. Went and bought new bulbs AGAIN this time instead of 1157 dual filaments I tried 2057 dual filaments and still..... BRAKE LIGHTS!!!! jeeeeeeez

Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM
SulphurDave
6th Gear

Well after reading way too many threads about people's front brake light switch breaking making their brake lights stay on I just had to check mine even though I would have betted money it was fine since it was working fine before I added this license plate light... or so I thought. Sure enough my switch was broke. This is a 2011 bike but I did add 16" apes so yea whatever... anyway I tried doing the small screw thing in there to fix it. Didn't work. Soon as I pressed the lever it snapped the internals of the switch breaking it even more. Took it all apart, called 2 Harley dealers that wanted to charge me $60 for a new switch. Told them to go kick rocks and now I have a bike with no front brake light switch and only have a working rear switch. Oh well. Btw... all I did was hook up the two Ford wires to the wires that were used for my factory led light on my license plate braket. Done.