Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck has happened (and how do I fix it)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, For ****s Sakes!

You guys don't have to be such ******** about it just because I'm a little ignorant about the "proper" way to fix it! I really didn't know and I was just trying to help with my earlier suggestion. Good thing that I really don't give a **** what you guys say :P

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my question would be... by no means being a smart mouth.. if this is only mode of transport, and it's a "leak" is it a panic fix? I'm really detailed and on any sort of issue with my bike. Usually get the smile and nod from my mechanic and the pat on the arm..."She'll live"
Leaks get fixed, but no panic. Just wondering for obijohns peace of mind...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a vstar that would do the same thing. It was the v star 650, I would blast that bastard on the freeway, wide open throttle and it would do about 80 mph sounded like it was going to hit the rev limiter. When I got to work I noticed that the cylinders were leaking oil just like what is shown in your pictures. If I rode it like a normal human being, it would not leak...maybe you just need to lay off the throttle a little bit?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LucyOnBlack
my question would be... by no means being a smart mouth.. if this is only mode of transport, and it's a "leak" is it a panic fix? I'm really detailed and on any sort of issue with my bike. Usually get the smile and nod from my mechanic and the pat on the arm..."She'll live"
Leaks get fixed, but no panic. Just wondering for obijohns peace of mind...
No, it's not at the panic leak point as of right now. He can ride it and keep an eye on the oil level/leaking amount. I'd suggest that he buy a service manual and a gasket kit so it can be fixed in the next couple weeks/months. This job is only a little harder than doing the rocker box gaskets since he'll have to strip it down to the base gasket.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, first things first: Identify and isolate the leak.

Clean that entire area really well, check it with a flashlight after EVERY ride and see where its coming from.

Once you know for sure where its coming from, you can pick a course of action.

If its only ever a drop of seepage at a time...hell, guys have ridden for years and years in that state.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Well, For ****s Sakes!

You guys don't have to be such ******** about it just because I'm a little ignorant about the "proper" way to fix it! I really didn't know and I was just trying to help with my earlier suggestion. Good thing that I really don't give a **** what you guys say :P
Don't think anybody is trying to be that, just don't want the OP to go the J.B. Weld route and cause a worse condition than he already has. Giving advice that you are unsure of can have consequences if taken, and I think the guys here, myself included, just did not want to have the poster get into a situation where it causes him/her more problems down the road, that's all.

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
No, it's not at the panic leak point as of right now. He can ride it and keep an eye on the oil level/leaking amount. I'd suggest that he buy a service manual and a gasket kit so it can be fixed in the next couple weeks/months. This job is only a little harder than doing the rocker box gaskets since he'll have to strip it down to the base gasket.
Agreed. But it is not going to get better. If it is a cracked case, it would concern me about the underlying issue. Possible a bent wristpin, stretched rod, or even an improperly manufactured piston that might be causing some clearance issues creating stress throughout the entire cylinder from the head down. Could also be throttle stress. This is unlikely, my guess would be the lower jug gasket. As stated by Iceman, they have been known to go out. Just stay off the throttle (you can still ride like normal, I just would not go hot rodding it until you get it fixed, or at least know what it going on).

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Yeah, first things first: Identify and isolate the leak.

Clean that entire area really well, check it with a flashlight after EVERY ride and see where its coming from.

Once you know for sure where its coming from, you can pick a course of action.

If its only ever a drop of seepage at a time...hell, guys have ridden for years and years in that state.
Good advice. I have ridden old Harleys, and we all know their reputation. I never needed GPS with the old '48 Pan, just follow the dripline back home.
Just keep an eye out on it, checking the level from time to time, and get it located and fixed as soon as convenient for you. Winter is coming up on us quick, perfect time to get 'er done. Try to locate the problem a.s.a.p. though, that way you will not have to ride in poor weather if you don't want to.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hell, with every air cooled bike I've ever owned, I had a "check the oil after EVERY ride" rule.

Its just part of my ritual now, and it gives me peace of mind.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
obijohn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm a little more calmed down now I think.

I really don't push it very hard, rarely ever go above 3,500 rpms and never above 70mph on the highway. A week or two ago a cold front came through on my ride home. First time it had rained in forever here, and everyone forgot how to drive on wet roads. I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for about an hour and a half, then suddenly this very cold rain just pours down. I don't know if the sudden change in temp with that cold water hitting the engine after having been idling for so long might have loosened up something around the gasket or what. But I'm being optimistic about it just being the gasket.

Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on it and following the suggestions about isolating what's going on.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by obijohn
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm a little more calmed down now I think.

I really don't push it very hard, rarely ever go above 3,500 rpms and never above 70mph on the highway. A week or two ago a cold front came through on my ride home. First time it had rained in forever here, and everyone forgot how to drive on wet roads. I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for about an hour and a half, then suddenly this very cold rain just pours down. I don't know if the sudden change in temp with that cold water hitting the engine after having been idling for so long might have loosened up something around the gasket or what. But I'm being optimistic about it just being the gasket.

Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on it and following the suggestions about isolating what's going on.
Sounds good, you should be just fine with that kind of riding. I agree, think it is just a gasket. And don't worry about what you don't know, find out first. No sense in worrying yourself over potentially, and probably, nothing. Remember,the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Fear, and the boogeyman.

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Hell, with every air cooled bike I've ever owned, I had a "check the oil after EVERY ride" rule.

Its just part of my ritual now, and it gives me peace of mind.
Same here. Takes less than a minute, and if you do happen to suddenly lose oil it is easier to detect when it happened, making it potentially easier to isolate what had happened.

Quick Reply: What the heck has happened (and how do I fix it)