Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Licks bag only good for looks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM
elkhunter719
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmartin
Sorry, but I just can't even see how it's possible that this "Vacuum effect" pulled a gauntlet size leather glove out of a latched bag that has less than an inch of open space between the bag and top cover. I bet if you even tried to take that glove and put it IN the bag from the outside while it was latched, you'd have a tough time of it.
For those of you who have had a good experience with your Licks bags then I congratulate you. That is exactly why I went with this bag because of all the positive things I read about it here and elsewhere.
For those who say my experience couldn’t, wouldn’t, or didn’t happen, all I can tell you is that is exactly what happened. You were not here you did not see nor did you experience it. Believe what you like. If you don’t what to read about my bad experience or believe it because it didn’t happen to you then I am not going to change your mind.
Each one of these bags is hand-made so no two can be exactly alike nor 100% perfect. Mine certainly does have a gap in the front end when cinched down all the way that I can stick at least 3 fingers through so not only can things go in, they certainly can get sucked out. I found that out the hard way ‘cause I am not used to lying on the ground and looking up at my bag to see if there is a gap in it. If I had done that, then maybe I wouldn’t have put my stuff in it, but that is what these bags are for and for the money spent then I should not have to do that anyway.
‘Nuf said.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 324 Posts

If replacing, I might be interested in a used Licks brand bag.

Perhaps a large freezer bag (or like plastic) liner that can be sealed would stop the issue you are having. Maybe Licks can re-sew...fix issue as a warranty.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 AM
jb7
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
I would love to have a set of these. Theres another thread somewhere talking about them, seems everyone agrees........WAY too expensive. Maybe we should try to get a group buy going for a discount
I have a set of the Plunder dog saddlebags. Yeah, a little expensive but what isn't for these bikes? I had a Lick's Solo bag at first, and I found water in the bottom of mine a couple of times also. The Plunder dogs seem to be a little more water resistant, and they offer a little more room, but not much. They look great and it is obvious a lot of care and attention to detail went into their construction. Only gripe I have with them is that they scratch up the battery and oil tank covers where the leather is in contact with them. Even being **** about keeping the covers clean and waxed hasn't totally stopped this.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

I was going to get one of the licks bags but I just couldn't come up with the cash. I went with an OGIO tailbag while I saved up some cash. I have to say that ever since I put it on I haven't looked back. I really like this bag, it's easy to put on, holds quite a bit and is expandable. It has a built in rain cover and I have personally tested this in a rain storm and it works...everything nice and dry on the inside. I however, was soaked to the bone. It's not for everyone but it works great for me.

PS I have a socket set, allen set, torx set, gloves, spare bulbs, sunscreen and still have plenty of room for all my pocket contents and two large poweraids. Oh yeah that's not expanded.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

I was going to get one of the licks bags but I just couldn't come up with the cash. I went with an OGIO tailbag while I saved up some cash. I have to say that ever since I put it on I haven't looked back. I really like this bag, it's easy to put on, holds quite a bit and is expandable. It has a built in rain cover and I have personally tested this in a rain storm and it works...everything nice and dry on the inside. I however, was soaked to the bone. It's not for everyone but it works great for me.

PS I have a socket set, allen set, torx set, gloves, spare bulbs, sunscreen and still have plenty of room for all my pocket contents and two large poweraids. Oh yeah that's not expanded.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 AM
landonm11
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
I would love to have a set of these. Theres another thread somewhere talking about them, seems everyone agrees........WAY too expensive. Maybe we should try to get a group buy going for a discount

ive got a set of plunder dogs and love them!!!

and pete jackson is a great guy...

i recommend getting a set to any sportster rider that does want to lose the sportster look... plus with the plunder dogs they dont get in the way of anything on my 2012 and you can still get a set of throw overs for your long hauls