Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini apes adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 AM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

locktite should always be used on anything that could possibly vibrate loose, "ever have a set of handlebars fall while riding?" not very fun...but whats worse than handlebars that fall is when, You get a set of bars from a buddy, he tells you they're ready to be bolted on, so you do, and while going down a twistie road this happens,

And you have to stick the whats left of the bar under your ***, give it throttle from your crotch, while shifting gears with a right side jockey shift, and trying to make turns with only one bar....All the while thinking about how blessed you are to have good friends!

Also, in case anyone needs this, if the knurling on your handlebars ever gets worn to the point your risers wont grip them, you can take a coke can, cut out a square long enough to wrap around your bars, you can use that as a sleeve between the bar and riser to tighten it until you can fix the problem....Don't ask

Old 10-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't adjust the handlebar controls when I tilted the bars forward...maybe I should look into it lol...

Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by jockeyshiftjoe
locktite should always be used on anything that could possibly vibrate loose, "ever have a set of handlebars fall while riding?" not very fun...but whats worse than handlebars that fall is when, You get a set of bars from a buddy, he tells you they're ready to be bolted on, so you do, and while going down a twistie road this happens,

And you have to stick the whats left of the bar under your ***, give it throttle from your crotch, while shifting gears with a right side jockey shift, and trying to make turns with only one bar....All the while thinking about how blessed you are to have good friends!

Also, in case anyone needs this, if the knurling on your handlebars ever gets worn to the point your risers wont grip them, you can take a coke can, cut out a square long enough to wrap around your bars, you can use that as a sleeve between the bar and riser to tighten it until you can fix the problem....Don't ask
Are you SURE your wife didn't take life insurance out on you and promised the "friend" cut of the payout if an "accident" happened to you?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Brunster11
Cruiser

Thanks guys for all the help. I adjusted them a couple days ago and took it out for a ride and I didn't feel like I had as much control of the bike when adjusted a ways forward (arms felt to extended). I readjusted a little bit back and that fixed the problem. Jokeyshift joe..that is a crazy pic. I can't even imagine as a new rider what would have happened to me if my bars did that. I'm glad you made it through that unscathed.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKill
Having to adjust the hand controls depends on how far forward you push the bars. If you push them really far forward without adjusting the controls, your levers will be pointing down at an awkward angle. Even so, it's just a few more bolts to loosen to make those adjustments.
Beat me to it. Plus, pitching the brake fluid res. too far of an angle puts it in a potentially dangerous situation. A few degrees and yes, you will be fine.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

OH SHYT!!! how did you not die? well good to hear you can still walk. Hopefully you slapped your "friend"

Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy crap, Joe! Glad you are okay! Incidentally, you are right. The coke can gives good bite. Soft enough to grab onto the slightest knurling. I have also used golf club tape, with good results. Restoring an old bike will teach you some nice tricks to get by.
Originally Posted by emperor wurm
OH SHYT!!! how did you not die? well good to hear you can still walk. Hopefully you slapped your "friend"
Recoverable, but on the twisty stuff it takes an experienced rider. If it had happened to me though, I would have gotten home, shut the bike down, found a nice dark corner in the back of the bedroom, balled up in the fetal position, and would be there singing songs about airplanes and choo-choo trains until they found me and hauled me away in the padded Winnebago!

Last edited by TennesseeMustangPerf; 10-07-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 AM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
Maybe he should have stopped by Wal*Mart for some Duct Tape.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

lol Thanks guys for the support. lol I don't think the wife put a hit out on me, but during that time she was getting upset that I was spending more time building the bike, than with her...hmmmmm.
Lol also thank you guys for thinking I was an experienced rider, but Im going to be honest I wasn't, that was my very 1st motorcycle, I built it myself, and that was maybe the 4-5th time I had took it out. In situations like that you don't think about how your going to get through it, you just do it....thats not an indorsement for N!ke

Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

If that happened to me, my pants would still be wet and yellow.

Quick Reply: Mini apes adjustment