Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOLY @#$% Cycle Shack slip ons!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:20 AM
parabellum_9x19
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thumper26
I put a pair of Cycle Shack slip-ons on my 2005 XL1200R when it was only a few months old. Put about 5K on those slip-ons and they sounded SOOO much better than stock. I found at between 60-70 mph that they developed a harmonic that really bothered my ears. I wound up selling them and putting on the "old" SE II's with Big City Thunder Baffles and no harmonics at any speed that bother me now and a FANTASTIC sound!
Yeah, those harmonic issues can be annoying, I've had them occur on various exhausts over the years.

One way to tune that harmonic, is with a lollipop style baffle. You can change the angle of rotation of the flat part of the baffle and it will alter the harmonics of the pipe.

I never cruise faster than 70, and so far my exhaust is great up to that speed. But also, I wear earplugs for long rides, as even wind noise is enough to do cumulative hearing damage to you over time.

Old 10-04-2011 | 12:58 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

[quote=XL50#674;8892347]I have never heard the Cycle Shack slip on's but I hear good things about them-gald your happy. I had the newer SE slip on's and man did they suck! I like a bike loud and thet are not loud. quote]

"Suck" is a stong word to use when we all seem to agree that pipe sound is a matter of personal preference. I have the Screamin' Eagle Street Performance mufflers and, in my opinion, they are GREAT! They are significantly louder than stock, have a nice throaty sound but are not wake the neighbors loud (I like my neighbors) or set off car alarms loud. They were exactly what I wanted. Obnoxiously loud pipes on my bike would suck. I don't care what you have on yours, though. That's up to you.

I posted videos of the before and after sound of my 1200 Custom on this forum last week. I won't hijack this thread by posting them again here, but if anyone is interested, do a search.

As a bonus, H-D documents an INCREASE in performance with the SE SP's. (http://www.harley-davidson.com/pna/p...bmLocale=en_US) With pipes that are too open, like alot of really loud ones, you LOSE low end torque because of lack of back pressure. I haven't had it on a dyno, but seat of the pants, I can tell you there is an increase in horsepower and torque, as H-D promises. My bike is for riding. It's not a musical instrument to be tuned just for sound. So performance is important to me. And I, like many others who have posted the same thing, LOVE the SE SP's sound.

But back to the thread--I still am hoping for a video, even a crummy quality one like the one I posted of my bike, of your new Cycle Shacks. I have heard alot of good things about them, but wanted to stay street legal myself.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 10-04-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 01:01 PM
parabellum_9x19
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Just as a test I stopped by my HD dealer (a good bunch of guys there, definitely not a 'stealership') and I had people coming out of the front door to check out what bike was making that amazing sound.

I had a few people ask me what pipes they were, and I don't think any of them believed me that they were $150 cycle shack slip ons.

I like the SE slip ons a lot, I was planning to get them but I got a killer deal on these pipes so I couldn't pass that up. If I ever moved to a state that had rigorous inspections, I would probably switch these out for the SE slip ons just to stay road legal.

But barring that, these things are here to stay.

As for the "loudness meter", I remember when I ran Samson Street Sweepers on my Warrior. It was CRAZY loud. I mean...get dirty looks all the time from people while you set car alarms off loud. These are NOT that loud, I have been paying attention to pedestrians and people in the cars around me when stopped at a light, and unlike with those pipes, people in general do not turn their head to see where the noise is coming from, nor do they give me dirty looks.

I was stopped next to a woman at a light just now and she didn't even bother to roll up her window, so that makes me think that while these pipes are LOUD, they are just under the limit for what is reasonable.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 10-04-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 02:08 PM
Relbus
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mhenry
Are they really that much better than the V&H straight shots and the SE's I have been looking for some slip ons and have been torn being that i have never heard any of them on a sportster you got just the slip ons right not the whole package also what size did you get im curious i dont know if im right and please correct me if im wrong but size would change pitch??
I think the OP was comparing his slip ons to V&H full exhaust systems. I have the V&H straight shot slip ons, and a coworker has the Cycle shack slip ons on his 08 883 custom. We have compared the sound, riden together, etc. and we both agree the sound is very similar. I really can't say one islouder than the other or sounds better than the other. They both sound great. I just liked the look of the V&H straight shots better than the bologna cut cycle shacks.

If you guys give me a couple days I can record vid of both bikes for comparison.

Old 10-04-2011 | 03:04 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been running Cycle Shacks since July 2006. After over 70,000 miles, they still sound great and the chrome is as good as ever. I don't think Cycle Shack can be beat for the price.

Now, if I could find something similar for my Ultra Classic

Old 10-04-2011 | 03:08 PM
parabellum_9x19
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Relbus
I think the OP was comparing his slip ons to V&H full exhaust systems. I have the V&H straight shot slip ons, and a coworker has the Cycle shack slip ons on his 08 883 custom. We have compared the sound, riden together, etc. and we both agree the sound is very similar. I really can't say one islouder than the other or sounds better than the other. They both sound great. I just liked the look of the V&H straight shots better than the bologna cut cycle shacks.

If you guys give me a couple days I can record vid of both bikes for comparison.
Yeah, I was specifically comparing the CS slip ons to the V&H short shots, which are SO popular.

They look amazing, but imho, the CS slip ons have way better tone.

Old 10-04-2011 | 03:49 PM
Relbus
Cruiser

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Yeah, I was specifically comparing the CS slip ons to the V&H short shots, which are SO popular.

Thats what I have heard as well, can't speak from firsthand experience.....yet.

I have a set of short shots with quiet baffles that I'll throw on sometime this winter...they were used and cheap, so if they dont work out...they'll be for sale.

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:23 PM
mhenry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Relbus

Thanks for the response didnt think i was going to get one lol

Old 10-04-2011 | 07:24 PM
mhenry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19

yea I was torn but since there have been some posts about how they sound alike thats even better ill go the cheaper route

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:06 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The Rush slip-ons have a really good deep tone...to my ears they are a little better than the Cycle Shacks. But NOT $250 better. lol

Kevin
Drawing - FREE Custom Foot Pegs

Quick Reply: HOLY @#$% Cycle Shack slip ons!!!