Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Opinions (You know the Routine)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Opinions (You know the Routine)

Hey Guys,
Thank you for opening this post even though it said something about exhaust, Im sure everyone on this board is sick with the exhaust posts. Now for starters let me say Im no where close to thinking of exhaust at the moment, Im still waiting for my cases to get here, but to pass the time till then it's always nice to look at chrome...or black goodies Also before we go any further let the SOA bashing begin, I knew from day 1 I wanted to build my bike to favor this one.

Now I know, I know, but it's not the SOA bandwagon, I've always been into the Bikini fairings, My grandfather has a little BSA with a 441 Victor Special which has a bikini fairing, Always wanted one before the show, but anyways thats the style Im going for with a few changes here and there. But I've looked through plenty of pipes and here are the choices I've narrowed it down to.

The Exotic Choppers: Cyclops

or The BUB: Megaphones

These are the final two. Now here is my problem with both. I don't know jack about Exotic choppers, or how good of quality their work is.

And the Megaphones look good, but I have a sneaking feeling that as soon as a fairing gets bolted on, at every gas station I stop at I'll get, "Hey Buddy, Nice Buell" lol

Anyways I'd like your guys opinions, and I'd really like to hear someone say they've dealt with Exotic Choppers, because that is such a beautiful pipe, Idk if I can pass it up. Best Wishes Guys. -Joe

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well you have to keep in mind there is is not near as many pipe set ups for the older solid mount sportys like your as there are for the rubber mount. I have to say I love the Cyclops set up. I bet it sounds killer and still back some ok power being a 2-1. The down side to that setup is for the look you are going for it might not fit in real well as that is a chopper style pipe.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the megaphone ones.

It takes more than a wind screen to resemble a Buell and I don't see a single thing similar other than the motor. Who cares anyway.

I made a set just like those exotic choppers ones for a friend of mine and he kept slicing his ankle or complaining about the heat every time he put his feet down.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the two options presented, if the decision were mine to make, I would go with the BUB megaphones. My decision would be based on the scientific more than the aesthetic though.

(I actually do like the look as well).

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 09-29-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The BUBs would look sweet in black, and probably perform better, too. Ditch that air cleaner.

Also, don't apologize for the way you want your bike to look! If you like SOA "style", state so proudly and with no apologies. Anyone gives you ****, punch'm in the nose and kick'm in the *****.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Fiasco00
Advanced

I looked at buying from exotic choppers and found them to be over priced, you can get similar pipes here. http://sikpipes.celestialprojects.co...=0&sort=normal

Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jockeyshiftjoe
Now I know, I know, but it's not the SOA bandwagon, I've always been into the Bikini fairings, My grandfather has a little BSA with a 441 Victor Special which has a bikini fairing, Always wanted one before the show, but anyways thats the style Im going for with a few changes here and there.
That's a great bike to model on! Back in the late 60s/70s a UK dealer Mead and Tomkinson raced one in European Endurance races, with great success. It was not as fast as the bigger opposition, but ran longer on a tank and was remarkably fast through bends. It was also the first bike to demonstrate oversteer in a bike on tarmac as it slid sideways across the longer wider bends at high speed - quite a sight!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's a great bike to model on! Back in the late 60s/70s a UK dealer Mead and Tomkinson raced one in European Endurance races, with great success. It was not as fast as the bigger opposition, but ran longer on a tank and was remarkably fast through bends. It was also the first bike to demonstrate oversteer in a bike on tarmac as it slid sideways across the longer wider bends at high speed - quite a sight!
Wow thank you for that, I love hearing about the British bikes, Riders of the Lost Empire, I'll have to get some pictures of that BSA sometime and post them up here, also seeing as how your a fan of Turnips, beside the BSA on the shelf is a Silver Jubilee I can get some photos of to, Thanks again for that info on the 441 Victor, never knew that. Best Wishes. -Joe

Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fiasco00
I looked at buying from exotic choppers and found them to be over priced, you can get similar pipes here. http://sikpipes.celestialprojects.co...=0&sort=normal
Wow man thank you for that link, I was starring at those Exotic Choppers' pipes today saying to myself there is no way Im going to pay the same price that I paid for engine crankcases on about 2ft of pipe, if that lol, Im still weighing my options guys, thank you all for the kind words, & opinions, if you want go check out my Project thread, I started teardown on the engine today and I posted some pictures. Best Wishes Guys. -Joe

Quick Reply: Exhaust Opinions (You know the Routine)