Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License. What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default License. What's next?

I'm going to do the driving test without the class. I just can't put it in my budget right now. Do they still make you do the hand signals? That used to be required. A little info would help this old guy.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: License. What's next?

Kant help you out on that... i kept my license current since i was 18, but i dont recall hand signals... its been awhile though... [:-]

Old 11-21-2006, 09:15 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I would think it varries by state. Don't want to be a kill joy, but the class is very good way to brush up on skills...

Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

I'm going to do the driving test without the class. I just can't put it in my budget right now. Do they still make you do the hand signals? That used to be required. A little info would help this old guy.
what state?? hand book would tell you

Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas must be tough.In Pa the safety class is free with the permit fee to get the license.You pass the class your permit is stamped and you get your license in the next license renewal.The permit acts as a full license until then.We didn't have to do hand signals but driving skills were tested quite a bit.Most of it was reaction time and steering ability split with braking manuvers.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Texas..

Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
diablo666
Road Master

I just looke at the Texas dmv site and it doesn't even tell you but you can get the manual there in pdf.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 PM
rharrison
Road Master

Here in Missouri, we had to ride a straight line for 60' and taking more less than 15 seconds, do the same distance as a slalom using four cones, accelerate fast--shift and brake--stopping in a prescribed 2 foot square, and demonstrate the use of all controls and safety devices. If you are not taking the class, just plan on doing the test twice...the first time for familiarity and the second time to pass. I hate to say it, but I did not pass the first time. Next day, no problem. Auto failures include stalling (that's what I did on the slow, straight run), putting both feet down to control the bike, running past the stop area on the high speed stop or failing to identify the safety controls. 10 point deductions include one foot down, 10 points per second too fast on the slow run, missed shift and hitting a cone.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Illinois no hand signals but the ride test is a beatch on a cruiser sized bike. Yes, sportys qualify in this size range. I had to borrow a friends rebel 250cc to pass as I failed on my sporty. You have to make a sharp left and right turn-good, then a u-turn-good. Slow speed straight and stop in a 2 foot square box-good. Then the slalom, on my sporty I swung as wide as I could and made the first three out of four cones, all the way to the steering stop and scraped my left peg(custom not a low) on the fourth cone and could not get my scoot turned inbetween the third and fourth cone. The employee parking was next to the course and only gave you eight feet away from the cones. Not saying I am the best rider, but I could not have turned any tighter to save my life. On the rebel it was a breeze, you may want to see if anybody has a smaller bike you can use if your test is like ours.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Well. I figure I'm going to try the test first. If I crash and burn I can always do the class.

Quick Reply: License. What's next?