Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License. What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: License. What's next?

Good luck.I wish you the best.Nice bike by the way.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess ours is more difficult in CA. I didn't take the msf when I got my first bike either as I didn't have the money to. We had to ride slalom thru 3 cones then around a relatively small circle twice back thru the slalom cones u turn back thru the cones and around the circle in the other direction. the putting no feet down was what made it a little bit difficult, but I passed the first time. Of course this was over 10 years ago...

Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I figure it this way. I'm rid'in one way or the other. Anything that will help me be a better biker so be it.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 PM
rjgraham
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try VA, my the box they make you do is crap, my friend locked his handle bars all the way and still couldn't make it. Take the course sooooooo easy and you get to beat the **** out of the rice bikes.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM
ionate
Road Captain

I passed the tests required to get my motorcycle license in Texas just this past summer. I never took the MSF class, but I passed the written and driving tests without a problem. I was never quizzed on any hand signals but that could be different depending on the DPS officer that gives you your test.

For the written test, download the Motorcycle Handbook from the DPS web site and read it from front to back. Learn this book and you'll be able to pass the written test with flying colors.

The driving test is a hassle more than anything, simply bc you have to schedule a time that you and a friend can take the test with your own provided motorcycle and "following" vehicle for your friend. All vehicles + driver need to be insured and licensed.

The first thing they did for the actual driving test after validating my license, insurance, helmet, etc. was asked me to use my hand brake and a few other signals. The word "hand brake" threw me off at first, perhaps bc I was already nervous, but I had to think about it for a second.

Then he instructed me on how the driving test was going to work. The DPS officer would be driving with my friend in a vehicle following behind me. Once I hear a honk, I am suppose to check my mirrors and make my next turn based on the turn signals that I see the following car using behind me. This was a bit strange to get use to at first because you're already worried about everything else, much less listening for a honk and hoping to hear it in time to make a safe turn.

Regardless, we took off into the local neighborhood for the test and I ended up passing without any problems.

The DPS officer commented afterwards that I looked very comfortable on the motorcycle and could tell I had prior motorcycle experience. I didn't take the MSF because I didn't want to wait (next available class was weeks out), I was on a low budget and I felt I had enough experience with motorcycles to skip it and pass my test.

Nothing beats real experience out on the road (ride, ride ride!), but I still may take a MSF class later on. Regardless, I would strongly suggest that if you go this route and take the test without taking the MSF, read the handbook, do research on the internet for tips and get the book "Proficient Motorcycling".

And, Good Luck!

Old 11-21-2006, 11:24 PM
eggroll
Road Master

After practicing over and over again the "staggered cones of impossibility", I decided to take the class. I figured I'd lose that much money ($100) on retakes anyway and it was informative to boot! Personally, I think the cone test is set up to be prohibitively difficult so as to push more residents into the classes; not a bad thing.
FYI The cones were placed 12 ft apart, staggered 2 ft from the center line. You then had to simply pilot your bike around the outside of the cones, which was quite difficult for this beginner.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 11-22-2006, 12:14 AM
robbinson
Advanced

Take the motorcycle safety course - its money well spent, makes you a better rider - if you drop the bike, its theirs, not yours, and then you waive out of the drivers test in most states. I was a MUCH better rider after the course then I was before it both in terms of proper technique, and confidence in slow turns and uturns. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Thanks! I figure it this way. I'm rid'in one way or the other. Anything that will help me be a better biker so be it.

I took the class in Carrolton, TX. It was 8 hours Saterday and Sunday. We rode small honda bikes, 250cc. We did not go over hand signals. Almost all the class was on the bikes. We did:

-All in a large parking lot:
-Starting, stoping shifitng.
-Riding, turning
-We praticed hiting 2x4's in the road as a hazard.
-Swerving
-hard braking
-We had to do a figure 8 in very small box without putting you foot down. (you must turn you head all the way to look over your shoulder to turn or you will put your foot down)

Overall it was a good class..I think it cost $180.00 and then you only have to take the computer test at DPS.

One more thing, dont drop the crappy honda bikes...it is automatic failure.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Wbog!!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Eggroll, yeah those cones are a pain, that is where I had my problem. The cones here are two feet off center each direction(four feet total) but are so close together that when I made my ride of shame back to the parking lot I stopped between the cones to look. And they were closer together than the length of my bike. When I was on the line, if the cones had been straight not staggered both my front and rear tire would have been touching the cones!

Quick Reply: License. What's next?