Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Says Don't Need Rejet

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
ThePaul
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Says Don't Need Rejet

I have a 2005 1200R, put V&H Short Shots Staggered and SE High Air Flow AC on and took it down to the dealer for a carb rejet. Everything I have red here is that the needles need to be replaced with larger ones (ie. 45 on the slow jet). I've read that the fast jet is probably sufficient on the Roadster, but everyone seems to change out the slow jet.

Anyway when I show up at the dealer and tell them what I have done to the bike and that I need a rejet, the mechanic just looks at me funny and asks, "why? is the bike running poorly?". I told him that I have no idea how it should be running since I just put the pipes and AC on and it is completely different feeling now than before.

I dropped the bike off for a few days (needed regular service done as well) and when I picked it up they said that it runs great and doesn't need anything done to the carb.

My question, is this correct or should I take the bike somewhere else?

This is one of two HD dealerships in town, the other one is more expensive uses a Dyno etc etc .. this one is cheaper, mom and pop operated and doesn't even have a Dyno.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Says Don't Need Rejet

My thought is that your motor is running way lean. Maybe someone here familiar with your
setup can suggest the proper needle and jet changes.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Most 1200's with Stage 1 run best with a 180 main and 45 slow jet...

Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
supermom111681
Road Warrior

I would say that it definately needs a rejet regardless of whether it is running good now or not. I had the baffles taken out of my stock pipes when I had them and the bike ran fine for a while (no rejet), then one day it just crapped out on me, turns out I needed the bike rejetted.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: supermom111681

I would say that it definately needs a rejet regardless of whether it is running good now or not. I had the baffles taken out of my stock pipes when I had them and the bike ran fine for a while (no rejet), then one day it just crapped out on me, turns out I needed the bike rejetted.
Hard to imagine that your bike would crap out on you just because of removing the baffles from the mufflers.

Removing the baffles (or installing mufflers with hi-flow baffles) will allow increased exhaust flow, but the air/fuel ratio (mixture) is controlled by the intake system.

When you increase the intake air flow (high flow air filter) it could cause a lean condition unless you also increase the fuel flow to maintain the correct A/F ratio. Increasing the exhaust flow shouldn't make that much of a difference in the intake air/fuel mixture unless the intake was also modified.

I don't know, anything is possible, but I know many guys that have removed the baffles from their systems and had absolutely no problems after many thousands of miles.

Might make more of a difference on a EFI bike, where 02 sensors are mounted in the exhaust system to monitor set values, but on a carb'd bike it seems like there might have been some other problem not related to the baffle removal.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your plugs. They'll tell you. Here's a link to an article that 'splains everything.

http://www.cyclespot.com/Jetting.html

Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
robjohnston
Advanced

i drilled out the baffles on my stock pipes and put on a screaming eagle air filter kit and my bike did not require a jetting change, my bike was running a little rich before the mods, i base not needing any jetting changes on sparkplug is dark tan and no popping on decel, i was surprised

Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer said most bikes 883 or 1200 can get away with a 45 slow jet.Funny thing is they were out of stock on 170 mains and 180 mains.The 170 is the common rejet for a/c and pipes on an 883 and the 180 on the 1200.I ordered two 170 mains.One for me and one for the wife.I already have the 45 slow jets and hers is already installed.Just putting in the slow jet has stopped the carbs farts and improved cold drivability.You are better off being a little rich instead of a little lean.Lean will burn pistons and valves and blue the pipes from heat.Lean equals hotter running and rich equals cooler running engine temps.If you are way over rich you will waste spark plugs.My dealer tried to sell me a rejet on the dyno just for the pipes.The air cleaner is sitting here waiting to be put on this weekend if it's not too cold outside.Then I will open the carb at the same time to save a little trouble.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not needing jetting changes is possible but I would think very rare. Maybe there's a carb setup guy in the factory that only works one day a week. He feels that the bikes should be setup rich. He's lazy and only gets a few done during his shift. QC doesn't catch these few bikes that are setup outside of the standard spec and actually are jetted closer to somewhere between less-lean to rich.

It could happen, right? [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they are jetting the bikes at the factory.They are buying the carbs with the jets in them and bolting them on.Most american manufacturers are not actually building anything they are assembling it from various suppliers.My bet is Harley is no different.

Quick Reply: Dealer Says Don't Need Rejet