Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Tension Adjustment (repeatedly looses tension)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
GBogard
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Tension Adjustment (repeatedly looses tension)

I have an 02 sporty with about 55k on it, just bought it this summer. Relatively new clutch cable. I saw that the clutch has lost the tension it originally had when I bought it. The lever originally had about 1/4" of play before tension. The first adjustment that I made was on the cable at the mid-way adjustment, that fixed it for about 100 miles or so. I did that a few times and then read about the adjustment screw behind the derby cover. Did that and the clutch lost tension about 50 miles or so.

I have read other posts about the same adjustment, the reason I post something new is that this is a recurring problem (all other posts are about the initial adjustment and proper procedure) and has not been solved by adjusting the screw. The cable eventually loses tension again. I mean I can keep adjusting it but I would like to find the true cause of the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

If none of the adjustment "nuts" are loose after you've adjusted and the spring and lever attachment at the clutch basket is good (you have to remove the primary cover).....

I just have to say you are having excessive cable stretch. Maybe it is an inferior (inexpensive) replacement cable. Perhaps the "*****" at the end of the cable are sliding.

Replace the cable.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 09-17-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: pselling
Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a recent discussion (thread) that might help. Lots of details.

BTW, I have not torn into mine, with the same issue, yet .... First of the week I hope.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cables don't stretch that much unless the cable is actually breaking or fraying. The ends are usually on the very end of the cable, if it was to slip on the cable, it would come off completly. Sounds like you are having an issue with the clutch. Possibly the throw out bearing is failing and turning the adjustment screw as you release the clutch lever, or something with the spring plate. Is the clutch adjustment screw actually turning on its own? Also, the adjustment on the clutch should be done with a lot of slack in the cable.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

How did your throwout bearing look?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The throw out bearing is a ball bearing that is loaded sideways of all things. That is, it's a bearing that should have a load north and south, but has a load east and west if that makes sense. Not my idea of good engineering, but it seems to work for a while anyway. Back to the original problem. The bearing will wear on one side of the outer race till it eventually gives up then you will loose your clutch actuation all together. A plus is it only costs about 11 bucks, and is very easy to replace. I had the same problem, replaced the bearing, and it solved it.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Sporty
The throw out bearing is a ball bearing that is loaded sideways of all things. That is, it's a bearing that should have a load north and south, but has a load east and west if that makes sense. Not my idea of good engineering, but it seems to work for a while anyway. Back to the original problem. The bearing will wear on one side of the outer race till it eventually gives up then you will loose your clutch actuation all together. A plus is it only costs about 11 bucks, and is very easy to replace. I had the same problem, replaced the bearing, and it solved it.
Did the bad bearing have any visual signs of wear?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

At 55k miles, the clutch spring plate is likely shot. The rivets on the plate wear out and break off.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 PM
GBogard
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the throwout bearing again and it is "rough" spinning and has play moving in all directions. Maybe this is a worn out feel but I never felt the amount of play when it was new. No visual signs of wear on the bearing.

The clutch cable is relatively new and not frayed (at least not connecting into the clutch).

It sounds like the next step is to tear in a little more and check the rivets on the spring plate.

I will post when I dig deeper. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That's just the way mine felt. Rough, like it had pits on the ***** or the race. Lots of play, almost like you could remove the center race if you pushed hard enough. The new bearing has no play what so ever. I'm sure that's your problem. As I said, the bearing is pretty cheap at Harley (one of the few things that is). I recall 11 bucks and change.

Quick Reply: Clutch Tension Adjustment (repeatedly looses tension)