Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and air cleaner question?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pipes and air cleaner question?!

Yoooo guys! About to order a set of Vance&Hines shorties and a Joker air cleaner for my 07 Nightster. But what I'm confused about is what to do next... I've talked to Harley and they say all I need to do is buy a download from them and have it dynotuned but then others have said I need to buy a race tuner. This isn't something I know much about so definitely looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

With just pipes,and a high flow ac. Fuel Pak,or even the HD download is enough. If you have more plans for cams,heads,etc. Go with the SEPST,TTS,or PCV w/AT.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced

Right on that definitely helps! I don't plan on doing much more to the bike for performance... Anything else would be for looks. I've been told this makes a big difference on how the bike will run. But just so I understand... Is the purpose of buying a fuel pack to take the place of having Harley dynotune it?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

You need to do something to account for the increased air flow. The EFI will adjust a little, but not enough for open pipes and a high flow AC. You have options, HD Download, Fuelpak, Power Commander...

I went with the Power Commander on mine because it's easy to plug it into a laptop and play with a custom map. This might be good if you change out parts later. The Download is a one-time thing. I haven't used a Fuelpak, but I hear good things about it. I'm sure there are other options, but these are the ones I know about.

If you go with a PC, I got a good deal on mine from Fuelmoto.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced

Appreciate it bro! So if I go with a PC does that mean I won't have to go to Harley for anything??

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

It will run like a new bike. I just set my OL up with a set up similar to yours. I went with the Fuel Pak,and it runs great. It is night and day from what it used to be. If you go with a FP,you can't fine tune with a dyno,same with a basic HD download. If you go with another tuning device,a dyno can help to fine tune you bike to get every last hp/tq from your set up.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:53 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BAKERiSM
Appreciate it bro! So if I go with a PC does that mean I won't have to go to Harley for anything??
Correct. You only need to do one or the other. Get a PC, and put it on yourself. It's a bitch to make it fit under the seat, but it does fit.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save yourself a lot of bucks and a lot of heartache. Research Xied on this forum. Made by Nighttime, they will do what you need without costly tunes, hit and miss dynos and other costs. Mine works just fine and many more on forum love them. Cost about $125 total investment. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Fiasco00
Advanced

The Harley downloads on sportsters are crap, my master tech friends strongly advised me not to use them. I chose to go with the SERT and a dyno tune, it's the more expensive way to go but the horsepower gain was worth the money to me.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 PM
dfndr
Road Master

Damn autospeller. That's Xied by Nightrider.

Quick Reply: Pipes and air cleaner question?!