Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help changing riding positon

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 PM
cheezy97
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help changing riding positon

i have a 97 1200c with a mustang 2 up seat. when i ride for more than 1/2hr, the middle of my back starts to hurt, and goes downhill from there. i'm trying to figure out if i need to raise( get taller) bars, or just bring them closer to me(new risers). i haven't experienced this with my other bikes, just my new to me harley Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have forward controls?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 PM
cheezy97
Intermediate

yes, i have the stock forward controls. i'm still getting used to them on the highway. i don't notice them in town, but on the road i find it hard to get in a position to take the weight off my legs. still learning. maybe switching to some type of floorboard?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. I think you have to get the bars closer to you so that you don't have to stretch forward at all.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

There are two things you can do.

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-

Sit on your bike

Have someone hold it up straight for you

Put your feet on the pegs

Close your eyes

Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them

Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.

Regarding getting a comfortable peg for your feet...you gotta have one that has a bit larger platform AND will move when you want to shift around a little.
There is a good assortment to look at HERE

Pic of just one of the styles-

Kevin

Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 AM
jimmylee
Advanced

what bars do you have on it ??? I am 5'7 and 180lbs ,, I had the same problem,,I now have my bars ( buckhorn ) setting on the stock risers off of an 98 1200 custom,which are 5 or 5 1/2 inch riser,,that made it feel better then just the bars it's self,,I am thinking about going to the 16 or 18 inches mini apes,, because I think it would much better alittle taller,,,I still get some burning in my spine between my shoulder blades,,,I also have the small floorboards on my too,,I think there suppose to be for the passager but I have them up from,,I have small feet (8) so they work good for me,,if you would like to try another two up seat, I have the corbin seat,,I will be glad to send it to ya an see if that helps out any,,,that will give you an idea about if the seat will help your back out before you go buying stuff an it doesn't then you are stuck with something you aren't useing,,,pm me an let me know dude,,I'm eazy to get along with an would love to help you out if I can,,,by the way,on the seat you don't have to pay me nothing to get the seat an see what you think,,if you like it an want to keep it,,then pay me what you think it's worth,,I have 100 bucks in it,,,but it's doing me no good setting in the corner in the box,,,

Old 09-10-2011, 06:16 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Forward controls are not ideal for your back at all.

I suggest you throw on a set of mids, and some forward *adjustable* highway pegs, and also do what DK suggested for bar position.

If your seat doesn't have a backrest, that is another option.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost paid that hefty bill for new black HD forward controls installed. I am very glad I just got the adjustable mounts and powdercoated them. Heck, I use them so little anymore, I may take them off, mids are sweet as long as you are not too tall.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by warrick
I almost paid that hefty bill for new black HD forward controls installed. I am very glad I just got the adjustable mounts and powdercoated them. Heck, I use them so little anymore, I may take them off, mids are sweet as long as you are not too tall.
If you take them off and want to sell them, let me know. If my budget allows, I'll take them off your hands.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't buy the lazy handle bar riding position when it comes to control or bike balance. Anybody that's ever ridden in the dirt on dirt bikes loves the handle bar position similar to buckhorn styles. I have my bar position similar to offroad bikes. My riding posture is vertical if not leaning slightly fwd. Having your legs under you is far better then riding your tailbone in every aspect.

Fwd controls are probably the worst riding position you could ever be in if you plan to go further then your local bar. Do the highway pegs option and don't limit yourself to fwds. I went from 250lbs down to 200 lbs. The ride at 250 was horrible. At 200 its actually not bad at all. Every bike has its limits in comfort and 50lbs of weight causes a major change in the way a bike rides.

Not saying your heavy just pointing out things that affect riding comfort and for me that was a biggie.

Quick Reply: need help changing riding positon