Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What am I missing? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
GN LEE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What am I missing? Help!

In a couple of weeks, myself and my Mrs are going on our first Harley vacation together. She's on the back of my 1200 Custom and we're riding down to Virgina from PA. We are exploring the Sky Line ride and Civil War towns and trails.

Anyway, I have compiled a list of all the little things that I think we'll need such as waterproofs, ear plugs, icy hot, aleve, gloves, gator skins, face mask, breakdown / insurance hotline, night time riding glasses, sun cream, maps, Va. guide book, etc, etc.

I think I have down all the obvious things, but my question is to you veterans, what are the more unusual, less obvious things that may come in useful....what are your experiences where something saved the day, or just made the all round trip more comfortable and enjoyable?

We're going for 4 days. I have a luggage bag that sits on a rack and slips over the back rest and two small saddle bags - so no "kitchen sink" suggestions, lol!

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
mikhailwatt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original seat?

2-up on a Sporty can be fun... 'cept the stock seat can become unbearable for your passenger rather quickly - kinda like riding on a rail. I put a Sundowner on the 1200C and it was a huge improvement.

Have a great trip!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
GN LEE
Cruiser

yep, original seat. She don't know any different, so we'll see how it goes, lol!!!! We've done daily trips and no complaints so far. Thanks for the tip, keep 'em coming.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cash

Those disposable heater pad things that go in pockets to keep your hands warm

Seems like you have a pretty good list so far.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
GN LEE
Cruiser

Cash is actually a good one; sounds obvious, but yeah, I'll need actual "cash green" for EZ pass. Good thinking. Don't think it will be cold enough for hand warmers but still a good one.....thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GN LEE
Cash is actually a good one; sounds obvious, but yeah, I'll need actual "cash green" for EZ pass. Good thinking. Don't think it will be cold enough for hand warmers but still a good one.....thanks.
No worries, its been 42-45f here at night for the last few days, makes my perforated gloves feel a bit out of season.

Cash is always key for trips, it SUCKS to get stuck somewhere far from an ATM and have to deal with someone who won't take plastic.

I pull out way more than I need, and then put it back in the bank when the trip is over...you just never know.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM
mikhailwatt
Intermediate

yep, original seat. She don't know any different, so we'll see how it goes, lol!!!! We've done daily trips and no complaints so far.
After about 100-150 miles she might know different!

The second day into our first road trip we were looking for a fix for that narrow passenger "rail" - her tailbone was feeling every bump. Tried a piece of foam from an upholstery shop - no dice. The local H-D dealer had nothing to fit, so we ended up jury-rigging a little camp seat setup - not terribly elegant, but it did the trick and she enjoyed the rest of the trip.

Ordered the Sundowner when we got home.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mikhailwatt
After about 100-150 miles she might know different!

The second day into our first road trip we were looking for a fix for that narrow passenger "rail" - her tailbone was feeling every bump. Tried a piece of foam from an upholstery shop - no dice. The local H-D dealer had nothing to fit, so we ended up jury-rigging a little camp seat setup - not terribly elegant, but it did the trick and she enjoyed the rest of the trip.

Ordered the Sundowner when we got home.

interesting, i wonder how my Mrs will fair then? Kinda fundamental flaw of a motorcycle trip, not being able to sit down, and a pissed wife - forget it!! You got me thinking, maybe I'll check out those Sundowners...........

Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM
mikhailwatt
Intermediate

interesting, i wonder how my Mrs will fair then? Kinda fundamental flaw of a motorcycle trip, not being able to sit down, and a pissed wife - forget it!!
Yeah - you can only sit with pressure directly on the tailbone for so long. Need to spread the "load" onto your "cheeks"... the passenger pillion on the Sundowner is quite a bit wider (11") and better padded than the OEM. Bonus - the operator's seat is wider and more comfy as well.

I was looking at Corbin and Mustang, but the reviews (and eBay deal) on the Sundowner were good - no regrets so far.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

My wife hasn't complained about the Sundowner yet, but she hasn't ridden that far on it yet--only 3-4 hours. The additional benefit is that YOU will love the Sundowner. I've spent up to 10 hours on it with no soreness at all. It's a great seat IMHO. BTW, my sig pic was taken on Skyline Drive north of the Sperryville/Rte 211 cutoff. If you get to 211 around lunchtime, get off the Drive and head toward Sperryville. Nice twisties on 211 and great BBQ at High on the Hog in Sperryville.

And pack a camera.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 09-07-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: What am I missing? Help!