Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What am I missing? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Small flash light
Micro-fiber towel and a small bottle of your favorite cleaner to clean face shields
Don't forget your 110v cell phone charger.
Gas up before getting on Skyline Drive. It's torture to go 35 mph (posted speed limit) on the Skyline Drive. Give the motorhomes a lot of space. They'll stop in the middle of the road to look at Bambi.
Watch out for Bambi, all his friends and bears. Especially the little bears 'cause Momma's around somewhere.
Pack a lunch and eat at an overlook. If food is the objective at Route 211, go west toward Lurray. There's more restaurants. If you want to take a nice, very curvy ride (more curvy than going west), go east to Sperryville. Stop at one of the tourist traps at the bottom of the mountain and ask about food establishments in Sperryville. The turn-off for Sperryville is very easy to miss. Sperryville is only a block off 211, but easy to just ride on by. If you want to see some cool art work, go to the glass studio on the right shortly after you've reached the bottom of the mountain (I don't remember the name of the studio - try Google). I seem to remember seeing a pedestrian suspension bridge close to the studio, but don't hold me to that. If you want to maximize the Route 211 exit, go east then go back over the mountain to Lurray for grub. Repeat as necessary. It's a very entertaining stretch of road. Sport bikes go there on week-ends and make a day of it.
You'll need cash to get on Skyline Drive (National Park Service). They have a week pass if you're going to be a few days. I think it's $5 for motorcycles for one day. Don't speed much. Park Rangers know where to hide.
It will be cold up there.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 09-07-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
seiler1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to need

If you have the peanut tank you may wish to carry a liter of gas. There are safe containers that strap onto to rear luggage kit. Sold at Wolfman luggage. Saved my butt on a long ride

Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I don't want to be the one who "pisses on the fire" but have you considered in renting a bike built for taking trips instead of a "round town" Sportser.

Now I know I'll hear from Sportster guys that wonder wtf I'm doing in their forum stirring up trouble but seriously each bike has a designed purpose.

The wife and you both would do well to add the cost of renting a more travel worthy machine. Last I looked 4 days on a late model glide is around $150 a day. Live a little and seriously look into it.

And I really don't mean to "dis" anybodies ride! If you can go hundreds of miles on your Sportster for several days without wrecking your body ... more power to you.
yep, you're pissing on the fire! I WANT to do it on my Sporty, I DON'T want to do it in a car with 2 wheels. Thanks, but NO thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Small flash light
Micro-fiber towel and a small bottle of your favorite cleaner to clean face shields
Don't forget your 110v cell phone charger.
Gas up before getting on Skyline Drive. It's torture to go 35 mph (posted speed limit) on the Skyline Drive. Give the motorhomes a lot of space. They'll stop in the middle of the road to look at Bambi.
Watch out for Bambi, all his friends and bears. Especially the little bears 'cause Momma's around somewhere.
Pack a lunch and eat at an overlook. If food is the objective at Route 211, go west toward Lurray. There's more restaurants. If you want to take a nice, very curvy ride (more curvy than going west), go east to Sperryville. Stop at one of the tourist traps at the bottom of the mountain and ask about food establishments in Sperryville. The turn-off for Sperryville is very easy to miss. Sperryville is only a block off 211, but easy to just ride on by. If you want to see some cool art work, go to the glass studio on the right shortly after you've reached the bottom of the mountain (I don't remember the name of the studio - try Google). I seem to remember seeing a pedestrian suspension bridge close to the studio, but don't hold me to that. If you want to maximize the Route 211 exit, go east then go back over the mountain to Lurray for grub. Repeat as necessary. It's a very entertaining stretch of road. Sport bikes go there on week-ends and make a day of it.
You'll need cash to get on Skyline Drive (National Park Service). They have a week pass if you're going to be a few days. I think it's $5 for motorcycles for one day. Don't speed much. Park Rangers know where to hide.
It will be cold up there.
Ahh, flash light and cell phone charger, yep - forgot about those vitals! Nice, thks.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser

Thanks for all the inventory and route tips - much appreciated (keep 'em coming!)

Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 PM
mikhailwatt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GN LEE
yep, you're pissing on the fire! I WANT to do it on my Sporty, I DON'T want to do it in a car with 2 wheels. Thanks, but NO thanks.

+1 - I don't even like putting bags on the Sporty... a change of clothes each, minimal toiletries, our roadside picnic kit and camera - toss 'em in a backpack and we're off...

A guy at work has a big Beemer touring bike, fully kitted out - he keeps telling me I need a bigger bike with some bags/bling... I tease him about not being able to find the engine underneath all that stuff.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but I always carry a tire pressure gauge in my riding jacket.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GN LEE
I changed my post to be a bit less a focus of controversy.

Car on two wheels ... ouch. I think of it more like a Lazy Boy Chair with two wheels.

Guess my suggestion was a lost cause ...

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-07-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I changed my post to be a bit less a focus of controversy.

Car on two wheels ... ouch. I think of it more like a Lazy Boy Chair with two wheels.

Guess my suggestion was a lost cause ...
Lost, it sure was............

Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

September is a good month for "the drive" but stay off that road after dark. They need to stock the woods with wolves because there is a shitload of deer up there.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mikhailwatt

+1 - I don't even like putting bags on the Sporty... a change of clothes each, minimal toiletries, our roadside picnic kit and camera - toss 'em in a backpack and we're off...

A guy at work has a big Beemer touring bike, fully kitted out - he keeps telling me I need a bigger bike with some bags/bling... I tease him about not being able to find the engine underneath all that stuff.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but I always carry a tire pressure gauge in my riding jacket.
yeah, those beemers just don't do it for me either. However, great documentary DVD set called the "Long Way Round" staring Ewan McGregor and a couple of Beemers travling the globe. Good tip with the tire guage, thanks. See the Long Way Round link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

Quick Reply: What am I missing? Help!