Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm or electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default alarm or electrical issue?

I'll try to keep this as short as possible...I ride a 2007 XL1200C & yesterday morning I stopped at a gas station on my way to work, got back on the bike, turned the key on, waited until fuel pump quit running then hit starter like normal only nothing, then my factory alarm activated and went off and signals started flashing. Turned they key off, let it sit for a minute, then same routine and everything was fine & bike started and ran normal. THEN last night going for a short ride, I was running down the highway at about 60 and it just died...like someone shut the ignition off. I pulled over and turned the key off and back on & it started right back up and back on the road. A mile down the road, same thing happend, but again it fired right back up and ran fine. When I got home I got my manual out and got on here to look to see if anyone else had a similar problem and there doesn't seem to be anything posted exactly like this. I read the sticky at the top on diagnostics and there were "none" in any of the modules, so no DTCs.
I decided it is likely a problem with my alarm system due to what happed at the gas station that morning, so I decided the first and likely scenario is to replace the 2032 battery in the FOB. I did this and test rode with no problems, the rode to work this morning (stopped at the gas station again) and had no issues. Bike starts and runs perfectly.
Did I fix my problem with the battery replacement or do I have some other electrical issue possibly & if so what could it be...coil pack? I'm going to ride a good ways tonight to see what happens. Need to get this fixed asap if I haven't already since I am riding all day this Saturday and don't want to get stranded.
Anyone else had the battery die in the FOB and did this cause the dying also? Makes since to me if the FOB was not communicating with the module on the bike & no DTCs. Bought it at beginning of the summer, so I have no idea if it has been changed or if so when.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was probably your Key FOB battery. Sometimes I have to remove mine and just wipe it off and reinstall it. There isn't a very good connection inside that thing and all the vibration and banging around doesn't help much either.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I leave mine on my key in the ignition which makes it flop around while riding...maybe I should carry it in my pocket?
What did your bike do when yours had problems?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
yet_erp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your FOB in you jeans/jacket pocket and not on you key ring. In fact, a bunch of heavy things on your key ring flopping around in the wind will prematurely wear out your ignition switch. I just have the key and
nothing else in the switch.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Gear jammer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if that doesnt correst the prob check your fuse box, 07-09 sportys have a prob with getting water/moistier in there and evrything corrodes and oxidieses. clean all the fuses and relays and put dielectric silicone on them.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Well no problems so far today...rode for about 30 minutes at lunch and hasn't done it again. Gonna take it out for a couple four run after work and see what happens. Think I'll take the FOB off the key ring and just carry it in my pocket from now on...didn't figure that could be good for it anyway. I'll check my fuses also for moisture, but it's so dry here and bike hasn't been wet or washed for a good while so I don't think there should be any moisture in there but I'll check it out anyway to be safe. Thanks for the input...I'll keep ya posted on my issue.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I leave mine on my key in the ignition which makes it flop around while riding...maybe I should carry it in my pocket?
What did your bike do when yours had problems?
Mine is on my key ring. I just notice there is a problem with the battery when I go to pull it out of the garage and the alarm goes off. When you go to move it, it will chirp once and the lights flash once, that is a warning. It will give 2 warnings before the alarm goes off. (I have the pizo alarm from Radio Shack)
As you described, the starter will not work if the FOB isn't working, and the lights will flash when you lift it off the stand.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Man that would be dangerous if the battery in your FOB died while you were leaned over in a turn.....

Yikes, makes me glad I don't have the security system (kinda).

Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

That's what I thought para! Luckily I was on a stretch of remote straight highway with noone immediately behind me.
Rode about 50 miles with no issues last night, so I'm guessing that must have been it. On another note...thanks to Gear Jammer for your suggestion! I took all of my fuses and relays out last night to inspect & they were ALL oxidized so bad I don't know how anything was working on the bike! I removed them all, used emery cloth to get all the corrosion off, applied electrical grease and re-inserted them. The master or main fuse (the 30amp in the case) was fine, but I put grease on it anyway. All the rest were corroded, but the worst was the system relay...it was very bad. I also disconnected the battery & put anti-corrosion stuff on the terminals also.
NOW, something else...I don't know if disconnecting everything allowed the ECM to reset itself and adjust for the SE slip-ons I put on a couple weeks ago or what, but my bike runs much smoother now & seems to have more power and sounds different. I'm not making this s**t up...I'm on that bike every single day & know how it normally runs and sounds. I had a mechanic (car mechanic) tell me one time that any changes you make to a modern vehicle you should disconnect the battery and let the electrical system reset...don't know if this is true or not, but maybe he was right? I had straight no baffle exhaust on it when I got it & they were looking rough so I found some original SE slip ons on it I found off Cr****list that were still brand new. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did it, or when I do anything else for that matter. I don't know, but for whatever reason the bike runs smoother after what I did last night...strange.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member

The Key FOB will not shut the bike down, it just prevents it from starting if it is not near the bike when you hit the starter button.

If the system relay was all corroded, the bike probably is running better. I would replace the relay because they are not sealed and the corrosion could have creeped inside and could still cause damage. You can take the cover off the relay with a small screwdriver and inspect it.

Quick Reply: alarm or electrical issue?