Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm or electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
That's what I thought para! Luckily I was on a stretch of remote straight highway with noone immediately behind me.
Rode about 50 miles with no issues last night, so I'm guessing that must have been it. On another note...thanks to Gear Jammer for your suggestion! I took all of my fuses and relays out last night to inspect & they were ALL oxidized so bad I don't know how anything was working on the bike! I removed them all, used emery cloth to get all the corrosion off, applied electrical grease and re-inserted them. The master or main fuse (the 30amp in the case) was fine, but I put grease on it anyway. All the rest were corroded, but the worst was the system relay...it was very bad. I also disconnected the battery & put anti-corrosion stuff on the terminals also.
NOW, something else...I don't know if disconnecting everything allowed the ECM to reset itself and adjust for the SE slip-ons I put on a couple weeks ago or what, but my bike runs much smoother now & seems to have more power and sounds different. I'm not making this s**t up...I'm on that bike every single day & know how it normally runs and sounds. I had a mechanic (car mechanic) tell me one time that any changes you make to a modern vehicle you should disconnect the battery and let the electrical system reset...don't know if this is true or not, but maybe he was right? I had straight no baffle exhaust on it when I got it & they were looking rough so I found some original SE slip ons on it I found off Cr****list that were still brand new. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did it, or when I do anything else for that matter. I don't know, but for whatever reason the bike runs smoother after what I did last night...strange.
You would have to ask an expert like Nightrider, but many modern ECMs have a "learning" feature that adjusts fuel trims over time by essentially "learning" how one drives and what trim levels seemed to keep the bike operating optimally (in terms of MPG and emissions, not power).

My BMW had that feature, and if you disconnected the battery, then started the car and really got on the gas for the first few times you drove it after the battery disconnect, it would run like a monster! After a few weeks of putting around town to get to work, getting stuck in traffic, etc...it would "learn" new patterns and go back into a much more boring EFI profile.

You can ask in the engine tuning section here if the EFI bikes have learning or not, but if they do, then what you posted makes perfect sense.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an update on my issue....it was the system relay. Put 300+ miles on the bike this weekend with no problems. After I cleaned the corrosion of the realy on my bike last week - no problems, but picked up new system and starter relays this weekend @ my dealer.
Just some info - the part # they list for my bike is a 5 prong, but the one that was on my bike was a 4 prong. The 5th prong is not used as it is a dual pole relay & the second pole is not used, so in other words, the 4 prong works for both the system and starter relays. Part # I used is 31511-01B and this will work for both relays. As stated in another thread, they are different part #s though H-D, but it is not necessary as the part # I have listed will work for both. The other part # they did not have in stock & this one is much more commonly used & they had a pile of them on the shelf. Hope this helps someone else in the future if anyone has any starting or dying problems, start with this first. I think they were around $8 a piece. Keep a spare also..