Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between german and US nightster (according to Harley website)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
technotica
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between german and US nightster (according to Harley website)

Hi!

I am new and a bit confused. I was looking at Harleys on the website and comparing different models. Now according to the german website all Sportster models weight the same and the Nightster has a higher seat height than the 1200 Custom.

On the US website the 1200 Custom is heavier and has a higher seat height than the Nightster.

So I wonder, are there differences between german and US Harleys? I thought all Harleys are built in the US so there would be no reason for that?

Or did Harley just translate the specs wrong or something?

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its very possible that the Euro offerings have different acessories, seats, or trim levels.

Just like with cars, they are all made in one place, but you see different features on the cars destined for different countries.

I'm not saying that I know they are different, just that its entirely possible.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
thoner7
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by technotica
I was looking at Harleys
Buy the Nightster

*although I think the 2012 custom does look sweet with the fat front tire. An extra gallon in the tank would be nice but not a big deal to me.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I am new and a bit confused. I was looking at Harleys on the website and comparing different models. Now according to the german website all Sportster models weight the same and the Nightster has a higher seat height than the 1200 Custom.

On the US website the 1200 Custom is heavier and has a higher seat height than the Nightster.

So I wonder, are there differences between german and US Harleys? I thought all Harleys are built in the US so there would be no reason for that?

Thanks!

I know that you guys get a longer rear suspension (I think 13"), but not the side mounted license plate.

Also found this:

-Coulor of lightbuld covers (which are LED's and not able to change the bulbs. You have to buy the whole unit to replace.)
-Exaust slip-overs (has to do with sound regulations)
-Fuel / air ratio isn't even the same, the EU engin as been modified to have lower emittions, we lose about 15HP!!!
- and last but not least, we get how fast we are going in km and not miles

Last edited by wahlumsurfer; 09-06-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks!
Hi from the UK. I've owned Harleys since 1974 and from the Evo era onwards Harley has made International spec bikes, mainly for Europe. The bikes are all made in the USA, but take into account local legal requirements, as well as some differences in taste.

Examples are that Swiss noise regulations are more severe than US ones, so some of the bikes we get have different mufflers, also quieter air boxes, as well as amber indicators, side reflectors, etc.

We also get different models. As an example we got the XR long before it was released into North America, also we still get the 883R, which is no longer available to that market. We also don't get all the models available in NA.

So if you are planning to buy a new bike in Germany, use the H-D Deutschland website!

Last edited by grbrown; 09-07-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Nightster does have a longer shock travel, which sticks the butt up somewhat. Also, the plates, as stated, are under fender mounted, not side mounted. The lighting is also different.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the Euro N. Yup, the rear fender would HAVE to come down a bit, looks too dirt bike to me. Also looks like the mufflers are different, the Europeans have a Softail looking muffler.