Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how do I know if I need mroe backpressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 PM
thoner7
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So how do I know if I need mroe backpressure?

So I just went to some Rush slip ons and they sound great. But sometimes at idle it sounds and almost feels like a v8 sounds when it isn't firing on all cylinders (misfiring/skipping a cylinder once in a while. I dont think it is, just a factor with the new exhaust). Is that a symptom of [lack of] back pressure? Only sometimes from a dead stop does it feel like its 'doggin it'. What are the symptoms of lacking back pressure?

The Rush baffles are held in with a 3/8s nut and bolt, so I could put some eye hooks "lollipops" in quite easily.... if I need to.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 PM
86buickgn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is your bike? If you have 02 sensors, you can buy a handheld wideband oxygen meter for under $200.

I bought for tuning 4wheelers. You can use em on anything with a bung in the exhaust. With that being said, you can have a o2 bung installed in your headpipes and can tune everything!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-W...item3a6193fd18

Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 PM
thoner7
Tourer

its an 07. It has fuel injection, I run the 14ieds with an SE AC FWIW

Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I meter backpressure with a vacuum gauge. If it pulls 0.5" at idle and 1" at high rev it's spot on. I measure every pipe I make to ensure proper back pressure. If it's low I'll insert dowels throughout until I reach the reading I want. I've never ran in to a situation where it's too high.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
I meter backpressure with a vacuum gauge. If it pulls 0.5" at idle and 1" at high rev it's spot on. I measure every pipe I make to ensure proper back pressure. If it's low I'll insert dowels throughout until I reach the reading I want. I've never ran in to a situation where it's too high.
Mike could you explain in detail how you go about this for some of us who do not understand?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I drilled a hole in an oxygen sensor plug to thread in a fitting. The line from my vacuum gauge hooks to that fitting. Run the bike and watch the gauge.

On non-efi bikes I drill a small hole for the line fitting.

Really though, you don't have anything extraordinary. I doubt you have a major problem. A baffle or lolli-pop insert should smooth your out. Or maybe some torque cones.

YOU being the o.p.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 AM
thoner7
Tourer

So it sounds like some lillipops wont hurt, and may fix the problem I may not even have haha.

Thanks guys. I'll do it some day I am bored.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM
misput
Tourer

I drilled a hole in an oxygen sensor plug to thread in a fitting. The line from my vacuum gauge hooks to that fitting. Run the bike and watch the gauge.

On non-efi bikes I drill a small hole for the line fitting.

Really though, you don't have anything extraordinary. I doubt you have a major problem. A baffle or lolli-pop insert should smooth your out. Or maybe some torque cones.

YOU being the o.p.
What is a line fitting? Can you thread it in back where a lollypop would go or up near the head? Will it read the same no matter where you install it?

I had a fall on it's face popping hesitation about 3000 rpm when throttle was opened rapidly under a load, installed one size larger high speed jet, did not help much or at all. Installed lollypops and almost got rid of it but still has a slight flat spot about 3000 rpm. Would a vacuum test show whether I need more baffling.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by misput
What is a line fitting? Can you thread it in back where a lollypop would go or up near the head? Will it read the same no matter where you install it?

I had a fall on it's face popping hesitation about 3000 rpm when throttle was opened rapidly under a load, installed one size larger high speed jet, did not help much or at all. Installed lollypops and almost got rid of it but still has a slight flat spot about 3000 rpm. Would a vacuum test show whether I need more baffling.
The line fitting is simply the air hose running to my gauge. I use a barbed fitting to push the line on to. It needs to be around 1 foot from the head.

I would bet you have a lean fuel problem. Restricting the exhaust some will richen it up a bit.

Yes, metering your exhaust will tell you if you are having a back pressure problem but like I said, your problem sounds like it begins at the carb.

Or it's the nut that connects the throttle to the seat.

Lol, sorry, I've always wanted to say/type that.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
misput
Tourer

Or it's the nut that connects the throttle to the seat.
That has always been my main problem. Are you a psychiatrist ?
Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: So how do I know if I need mroe backpressure?