Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 100th Annversary Sportster 1200?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011 | 12:33 PM
95th 1200
Road Master

My '98 has 10k on it, and runs great. Aside from changing the fluids, filters and plugs you should have no issues.

Old 08-31-2011 | 01:04 PM
snakeinthegrass
|
Road Master

Rode it to the HD dealer this morning. Observations: Sounds different from my Deuce, the iso grips tamed down the vibration in the handlebars and hands. The stock pegs need to be replaced with ISO Stirrup pegs and heel pad. I am sitting much higher on the Sportster than the Deuce. Engine started immediately, left choke on full for about 1 mile and then pushed it in. Runs great.

Seat is okay, need more riding time on it to make a full evaluation. I sit higher on the bike compared to my Deuce. Acceleration is good with no stumble between gears. Actually much better than my Deuce which pops, cracks and stumbles at slow speeds. Shifting on the Sportster is much smoother and precise. The sportster will make a great townie bike and 100 mile runs but no comparison to my more powerfull and heavy Deuce. I am more above the bike on the Sportster and in the bike on my Deuce if you know what I mean.

Upgrades for the sportster will be a chrome Ignition module cover, chrome oil tank cover, chrome regulator cover and a Harley tail light unit that allows the rear turn signals to act as a brake light, Powr-let plug for cellphone/air pump/batterycharger, and lastly, ISO pegs with heel pad. Probably looking at about $300 for all of that. Our harley dealer was having a garage sale and I picked up a 2003 Sportster Owners Manual for $5.00 and a set of chrome screws for the ignition module cover for $1.00. Oh yeah, I found a nickel in the parking lot with heads up. Doesn't get much better than that.

Old 08-31-2011 | 03:18 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by snakeinthegrass
Rode it to the HD dealer this morning. Observations: Sounds different from my Deuce, the iso grips tamed down the vibration in the handlebars and hands. The stock pegs need to be replaced with ISO Stirrup pegs and heel pad. I am sitting much higher on the Sportster than the Deuce. Engine started immediately, left choke on full for about 1 mile and then pushed it in. Runs great.

Seat is okay, need more riding time on it to make a full evaluation. I sit higher on the bike compared to my Deuce. Acceleration is good with no stumble between gears. Actually much better than my Deuce which pops, cracks and stumbles at slow speeds. Shifting on the Sportster is much smoother and precise. The sportster will make a great townie bike and 100 mile runs but no comparison to my more powerfull and heavy Deuce. I am more above the bike on the Sportster and in the bike on my Deuce if you know what I mean.

Upgrades for the sportster will be a chrome Ignition module cover, chrome oil tank cover, chrome regulator cover and a Harley tail light unit that allows the rear turn signals to act as a brake light, Powr-let plug for cellphone/air pump/batterycharger, and lastly, ISO pegs with heel pad. Probably looking at about $300 for all of that. Our harley dealer was having a garage sale and I picked up a 2003 Sportster Owners Manual for $5.00 and a set of chrome screws for the ignition module cover for $1.00. Oh yeah, I found a nickel in the parking lot with heads up. Doesn't get much better than that.
OK.....You're comparing a Sporty to a Duece...Me---><---You.

Old 09-01-2011 | 07:01 AM
snakeinthegrass
|
Road Master
Default Comparison

Yes, I am comparing the sportster to my Deuce. This is my observation.
It was the only other harley I had in my garage that I could compare the sporty too. Both great bikes in there class.

Old 09-01-2011 | 12:43 PM
obijohn
Novice

Originally Posted by snakeinthegrass
Would be interested to hear what kind of reliabilty, maintenance and riding issues you'all have had with your 1200c's.
'03 1200 Anniversary here, witht 53,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream. The only thing it needs right now is new throttle cables which I've got on order (the cables are fine, but the L-shaped metal extensions that come out under the handlebars are getting rusty, so I'm just replacing the whole cable). Very reliable bike.

Old 09-01-2011 | 01:40 PM
snakeinthegrass
|
Road Master
Default 53,000 Miles

Now that is some serious riding on a sportster. Glad to hear you can get that kind of mileage out of them. One of my reasons for buying this sportster was the fact that it is the last of the line of that frame/engine style. 2004's are the next generation of sportster. With just a tad over 10,000 miles on mine, I have a long way to go. First generation evo, end of the line.

I took my seat off this morning and noticed a small area of rust on the frame weld just above the battery. Sanded it down and painted it with gloss black Rustoleum. I noticed the stock two up seat on the underside, that the staples are all rusted. May have to have the leather removedand restapled with something that won't rust. So far, I don't have any problems with the current seat but I haven't really put any serious miles on it.

I waxed everything metal under the seat that I could reach. I hate rust.

I was given a HD windshield which iss a real pain to get on so I am going to remove the brackets for now. I will put it back on if I decide to use it for a long trip but will ride without it for now. I have my Deuce for the long hauls.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 09-01-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2014 | 12:32 PM
Jeep_Kinda_Guy
Stage I
Default Chrome oil tank

Originally Posted by mreed
Alot of things can happen during assembly at the dealership. Your 1200C should, in fact, have had the chrome oil tank cover. I have 7 or 8 of them in my attic off of C model bikes. I can ship you one if you'd like. You also have the 883C seat on yours...or, atleast, not the stock 1200 seat.
Do you still have one of those chrome oil tanks? If you do I'll buy it off you.

Old 08-19-2014 | 10:36 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

Awesome find, guy. Enjoy the new ride.

At 10k miles,your tires are at the end of their life, if they're the stock tires. Of course, if they're the stock tires, they're also 10 years old and should have been changed 5 years ago at least regardless of mileage.

Old 08-20-2014 | 02:50 PM
Soliton
Intermediate

I'm sure the OP changed his tires by now. His last report was from almost 3 years ago.

Old 09-08-2016 | 01:13 PM
rodhotter
Tourer

old i know! my friend just bought an 03 883 custom anniversary edition with a 1200 kit etc, a beauty in like new condition, 10,xxx miles. having an 06 XL1200L i know the OE shocks stink, replaced mine. wondering what length his shocks are as longer + better shocks smoothed my ride + eliminated bottoming he is experiencing. adding preload helps but it rides harder + not what he wants. i know progressive + many others make better shocks than stock, he is about 180#