Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does ur sportster handle on fwy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
I've been using the Mustang Solo Tripper for the past 7K miles. Great seat!
But you still get a sore *** or after how long a ride at a time?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM
GOLGO-13
Intermediate

I changed my seat from stock to a sundowner (mustang makes good ones also I hear). That was like night and day for the ride. And didn't cost much to do.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I run, Progressive fork springs with 7w BelRay fork oil, 13.5" 440 shocks, Sundowner seat, long rides are what I do, no problem. The front tire issue is not a problem, all front tires wiggle now and then.

Attached Thumbnails how does ur sportster handle on fwy?-bagger-002-small-.jpg  

Last edited by 1200Cdriver; 08-27-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
Yes. New shocks and you won't feel the bumps as much. The skinny front tire sucks with uneven or roads with grooves in them. Adding a windshield will keep you from having a death grip on the bars.
On a Sporty, shocks would probably be OK but IMHO a different seat would be a better (and cheaper) bet! I didn't find a windshield to be of ANY HELP WITH STEERING at highway speeds, in fact just the opposite! It took the wind blast off of me (less tiring) but it INCREASED the level of steering attention needed to keep the bike running true! The bike is a comparative light weight and gets blown around pretty EZ.

IMO, if you want to cruise around at highway speeds for extended periods of time, you want a tourer, plain and simple! But don't kid yourself. Even on my Road King, at highway speeds YOU NEED TO BE PAYING ATTENTION AND NOT HANGING ON ONE HANDED! Things happen to damn fast and complacency will kill you!!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Upgrade the front springs, fork oil, rear shocks and set the preload and sag for your weight.

A mustang seat will cure the tailbone issues.

As for hanging onto the bars, add risers or different bars for more pullback, the farther forward you reach, it turns your torso into a convex parachute which catches the wind even more.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2 cents: I just returned from a long ride (2500 miles) 2 up on my sporty 883c. I have gotten used to the vibration at high speeds, the kite-like feeling in strong side winds. I was traveling with a group, mainly touring bikes. EVERYONE complained of the strong winds affecting their bike. I have driven a Gold wing and the thing scared the crap out of me in side winds. Give me my sporty any day!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
RobertIII
Advanced

I ride daily to work on the highway. My area is known as a high wind area. I get side winds, head winds and etc all day. Simple answer is your bike is going to move around a bit with the wind, its going to vibrate and sometimes its going to make you feel like you will get blown off the bike, if you don't hold on for dear life! Point being is eventually you get use to it all and ride at the speed that is most comfortable to you. Just stay with it, also one handed riding is overated!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM
delane
Tourer

Originally Posted by GOLGO-13
I changed my seat from stock to a sundowner (mustang makes good ones also I hear). That was like night and day for the ride. And didn't cost much to do.
I have a vintage mustang solo on my bike and it made a big difference over the stock seat ride.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:54 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not meant to be a long distance highway machine, not that it couldn't or hasn't been done. I'm fine till I hit 80-85, then the front end seems to get a little light. And with no windshield, that's more than enough for me anyhow.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM
bassnsporty
Advanced

I didn't really care about the ride because it is a model I always wanted so I just dealt with the ride thinking that was the nature of the beast. However, after some research and spending some time going over some of the things my bike did with my indy, the ride is much different from where it started.

Replaced worn tires, replaced rear shocks and front springs, and all of a sudden the bike goes where it is pointed comfortably. Grooved pavement, gouges, and tire valleys on worn asphalt don't bother the bike at all. Can't help you much with the over 70 mph stuff, just not that kind of rider.

Love my sporty, but maybe they aren't for everyone!

Quick Reply: how does ur sportster handle on fwy?