Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL1200L Seating Position Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 PM
John08XL
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL1200L Seating Position Issue

New to forums and riding...I'll try to keep it short. Bought 2008 XL1200L a few weeks ago as my first bike. It's been great so far living out a long awaited dream, but after the first 700 miles (including two longer trips of 150 and 250 miles per day) I started developing pain inside my hip flexors from the squeezed in position between my feet on the pegs and my @$$ on the seat. I have mid controls and the stock 1200L 2up seat. I'm about 5'8" and don't have an issue touching the ground on my current config.

I knew I'd be looking for a more comfortable seat (I can feel the frame through the seat) for longer trips and some highway pegs. I've also heard fwd controls aren't possible on the 08 1200L, true?

I've read a few different forums and several threads on seats, controls, suspension, etc. I think I'm leaning toward a mustang daytripper (2up) or fastback so I can keep the same clean line with the fender and tank. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but hesitating to open a can-o-worms with seat, controls, pegs, suspension, and handlebar changes to no end. I think I need to be positioned up and back an inch or two...or move controls fwd slightly?

What is the best approach for the first mod so I can start trying 300-400 mile trips and haul a passenger without worrying about pain/fidgeting to get comfy? Most of riding time is daily commuting right now so highway pegs won't solve too much.

Okay, sorry...not too short. Please help w/suggestions. I think there's an attached pic for perspective on fit.

2008 XL1200L (pretty stock)
Screaming Eagle Intake, Stage I
Vance and Hines shorty drag pipes

Attached Thumbnails XL1200L Seating Position Issue-14aug11.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, so in my opinion, you need to change the seat first.

I always recommend making ONE change at a time, because in terms of comfort, everything is related to everything else.

A new seat might negate the need for new controls or bars (for example).

I say, get a Mustang two up seat with backrests and do a few hundred miles then re-evaluate.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,061 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by John08XL
New to forums and riding...I'll try to keep it short. Bought 2008 XL1200L a few weeks ago as my first bike. It's been great so far living out a long awaited dream, but after the first 700 miles (including two longer trips of 150 and 250 miles per day) I started developing pain inside my hip flexors from the squeezed in position between my feet on the pegs and my @$$ on the seat. I have mid controls and the stock 1200L 2up seat. I'm about 5'8" and don't have an issue touching the ground on my current config.

I knew I'd be looking for a more comfortable seat (I can feel the frame through the seat) for longer trips and some highway pegs. I've also heard fwd controls aren't possible on the 08 1200L, true?

I've read a few different forums and several threads on seats, controls, suspension, etc. I think I'm leaning toward a mustang daytripper (2up) or fastback so I can keep the same clean line with the fender and tank. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but hesitating to open a can-o-worms with seat, controls, pegs, suspension, and handlebar changes to no end. I think I need to be positioned up and back an inch or two...or move controls fwd slightly?

What is the best approach for the first mod so I can start trying 300-400 mile trips and haul a passenger without worrying about pain/fidgeting to get comfy? Most of riding time is daily commuting right now so highway pegs won't solve too much.

Okay, sorry...not too short. Please help w/suggestions. I think there's an attached pic for perspective on fit.

2008 XL1200L (pretty stock)
Screaming Eagle Intake, Stage I
Vance and Hines shorty drag pipes
Hey John, Welcome to the forum!

I have my sporty set up for comfort on the long haul. It is an L also.

First off, you absolutely CAN put forward controls on your bike.

You may relieve some of the stress by getting different pegs that are much more comfortable, even with mid controls. Check out this link.

By going to forward controls and getting a good peg you will be amazed how much more comfortable it is.

Most people find the Mustang seats very comfortable (and expensive!). I have the Sundowner and it has worked well for myself and the wife.

An Airhawk is another option that can really make a difference.

No matter what seat you get, the passenger pegs are positioned to narrow. After some miles your passenger is going to start moving around looking for a more comfortable position. Her knees are going to be bumping into your hips and neither of you is going to be comfortable.

Easy solution is some good pegs for her, and some PC peg extensions.

For the bars, the least expensive way to experiment with different heights and increased adjustability is here.

As far as what to do first...least expensive is getting some adjustable comfortable pegs.

If you know you are going to do forward controls, I would do that next.

The reasons why is that it will change your seating position and may influence which seat you get. Way too many guys go thru 2,3 or 4 seats because they can't try em out first. Once you get your pegs set up like you want, then see if you can find someone that has a seat that you are thinking you want....see if you can put it on your bike and check out how it feels.

Once that stuff is done you can dial in the ideal positioning of your bars.

Have fun!

Kevin

Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,061 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Lol, I wrote a book answering your questions. Forgot to put up a pic for you to give you an idea...many different styles-

Kevin

Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

There are so many ways to change the riding position. If you go to forwards, you still only have one position for your legs; unless you get an engine guard and attach highway pegs to it. Personally, I don't like the engine guard on a Sporty, so I kept the mids (which I love) and added frame mtd. hwy pegs. I have the sundowner, but it is much fatter than the stock, so may not be to your liking; but it does make long rides much more comfortable. Oh, and welcome aboard.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,862 Likes on 2,427 Posts

As parabellum suggests, one change at a time. Personally I would never use forwards, but a Sundowner or Mustang seat (wide vintage) would be an excellent starting point. I'm not keen on backrests either, but if you chose a Mustang, check with them that you can add one or more later, which should leave you with all options available!

Last edited by grbrown; 08-26-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 AM
bg1
Cruiser

Also new to riding (it's been 25 years) and the forum! Bought a '12 XL1200C with forwards. After one week I put a Sundowner seat on and it has made a world of difference. The pain you describe is gone and my wife is sooooooo much more comfortable. A pair of Progressive 440 rears will be next.
Enjoy!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM
montelatici
Cruiser

What you need are the adjustable highway bar mounts and a set of pegs by Harley that are expensive but a real comfort. I took my 1200 low to Europe and did about 2K miles with it. The highway bars allowed me to move from mid mount to extended when on the highway and the mid mounts are the safest solution when in traffic or the occasional off road excursion, (of which I had a few).

I would absolutely not recommend the Mustang Daytripper. It is a 45 minute seat at most. That's what I bought thinking it would be a suitable touring seat compared to the stock seat.

Go for one of the Mustang (or other brand) "wide" touring seats 14 inch or more width, if you want comfort.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM
ezmo
Cruiser

I dont know what is the hip flexors, but sometimes moving handlebar bit furhter or closer has done the trick. It just matter what area of your butt is mostly pressurized on the seat

Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 PM
John08XL
Stage II
Default Thanks All

Great advice folks! Thank you. Plenty of options to consider.

Did another long-ish ride (100+) today, just to be sure i couldn't adjust myself on the seat and pegs. That stock seat is getting to me, so I think I'm going down that road first. Then pegs. Appreciate all the suggestions and options! Doors are open...heck don't even have 'em at this point!

Have a great weekend!

Quick Reply: XL1200L Seating Position Issue