Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke the spring pin for the kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Broke the spring pin for the kickstand

Took a ride at lunch and passed over a curb leaving a parking lot. It's one where they never tapered the curbing when the lot went in. Anyway, the bike bottomed out and the kickstand hit the ground and started dragging.

I stopped and found the kickstand spring lying on the ground. I used a bungee to tie up the stand and went back to work. When I attempted to reattach the spring, I found that the spring pin on the frame apparently was sheared off (see pic).

I called the indy and his only suggestion was to fabricate a pin and / or weld something to the frame. Obviously I'm open to suggestions on how to repair it.

Attached Thumbnails Broke the spring pin for the kickstand-spring-pin.jpg  

Last edited by gilmour68; 08-23-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks....Suggestions to get it home or replace? Tie it up and ride it home!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Originally Posted by BurpleHugger
That really sucks....Suggestions to get it home or replace? Tie it up and ride it home!
I need suggestions on how I might approach fixing it. I can tie it up to get home, but the pin is part of the kickstand mount and is welded to the frame.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

That pin comes out dude. Unless someone welded it, check it out here. Your manual should be similar (this is a 98), unless the '04 is different but can't imagine that it is.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=175&B=30

Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Here's the '04 view... http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=404&B=31

get to wrenchin!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

I think maybe I misunderstood, the pin thing that holds one end of the spring? If so, yikes....ride over to a weld shop is probably the only answer if this is the case. Unless you can weld. Sorry if I was confused.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to my wife's 08 nightster too while loading it in the uhaul from the guy I bought it from...
I called a welder friend of mine. Took a screw with a head and cut it to length and butt welded it to the little tit on the frame. Works great.You need the head on the screw to keep the upper spring hook on. A Tig/Wire Welder works well. Someone will have to hold the bike at an angle to get too it...We ran mine up on an oil changing tire ramp for cars at my house, then leaned the bike over and he could get right to it...I know all this having just done the repair two weeks ago.
Now...Harley makes a "Special Tool" that is a guide for a Tap and Die repair so they can drill the little tit, tread it and put a "Harley screw" (how appropriate) in the threaded hole. I was gonna do that but Harley charges 201.00 to RENT the Super duper guide device to drill the hole. Since my Stealer had never done one and I did not want them to do mine, and I calculated that LABOR of 150.00 + 201.00 to BORROW the tool was going to approach 400.00 bucks I decided to do it myself. It cost me 40 bucks and a round of beers in my garage. (I paid the friend for his gas and trouble since he lived about 40 miles away). Hope this helps!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsSG
Happened to my wife's 08 nightster too while loading it in the uhaul from the guy I bought it from...
I called a welder friend of mine. Took a screw with a head and cut it to length and butt welded it to the little tit on the frame. Works great.You need the head on the screw to keep the upper spring hook on. A Tig/Wire Welder works well. Someone will have to hold the bike at an angle to get too it...We ran mine up on an oil changing tire ramp for cars at my house, then leaned the bike over and he could get right to it...I know all this having just done the repair two weeks ago.
Now...Harley makes a "Special Tool" that is a guide for a Tap and Die repair so they can drill the little tit, tread it and put a "Harley screw" (how appropriate) in the threaded hole. I was gonna do that but Harley charges 201.00 to RENT the Super duper guide device to drill the hole. Since my Stealer had never done one and I did not want them to do mine, and I calculated that LABOR of 150.00 + 201.00 to BORROW the tool was going to approach 400.00 bucks I decided to do it myself. It cost me 40 bucks and a round of beers in my garage. (I paid the friend for his gas and trouble since he lived about 40 miles away). Hope this helps!
Nice to know it happens so often they have a super duper tool to fix it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the placement would be that critical. As long as you are within 1/16 in. It should work fine. I would just drill and tap a hole and insert a bolt.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I don't think the placement would be that critical. As long as you are within 1/16 in. It should work fine. I would just drill and tap a hole and insert a bolt.
That's exactly what I did. Put the bike up on the lift, crawled underneath, drilled and tapped a hole. Put a 1/4-20 button cap screw in and loaded it up with red Loctite. Cost $0 (got the screw from the shop at work). Took about 2 hrs to from start to finish.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pic!

Attached Thumbnails Broke the spring pin for the kickstand-photo0329.jpg  

Quick Reply: Broke the spring pin for the kickstand