Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883

I just wanted to post a quick review of the Mustang Wide Solo for the 2012 Iron 883.

I just got my new seat tonight, and let me say first: holy crap this is one very well made seat.

First, I was very surprised to see that its not actually much wider than the stock seat at its widest point. I measured the seats, and the wide solo is just shy of one inch wider at its widest point, than the stock iron 883 seat is at its widest.

Here are two pictures that show this. In the first, where they are side to side, the wide solo looks much wider (due to its shape) but in the second picture I have placed the stock harley seat on top of the wide solo and you can see that the solo just barely sticks out past the stock seat:

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883-ruhyh.jpg

The two seats overlaid:

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883-fv9ih.jpg

Install notes: I was fully expecting the install to be a PITA, as I have found over the years that many aftermarket seats need a bit of elbow grease, swearing, and persuasion to get them mounted in place of the stock seat. I remember installing a corbin on my Yamaha Warrior, and I was convinced that it was the wrong model until I finally muscled it in place.

Well, the mustang dropped right in, and the install literally took 1 minute, no muscling, no forcing anything, just drop it in place and replace the seat mount screw. I added a dab of blue locktite to the screw upon replacement, just for good measure.

In my excitement and haste to try out the seat, I forgot to take a few pics installed on the bike, but I will take some first thing tomorrow morning and update this post with more pictures.

Test ride:

I just put 80 miles on the new seat and WOW I am impressed.

This is the most comfortable motorcycle seat I have ever owned. Its better than a reworked stock seat, its actually better than my Corbin, and its about 10000x better than the stock seat.

My tailbone was killing me after only 30-40 minutes on the factory seat, and I just did 80 miles (about 1.5 hours) on the Mustang and I wasn't the least bit sore. I'm confident I could do at least four hours on this seat without any comfort issues at all.

I'm glad I got the wide and not the 12.5" version. While I'm sure that the 12.5" version would also be very comfortable, the wide has enough room that you can scoot around just a bit and that is key for long trips to avoid fatigue.

As for seating position, I estimate that its about 1-1.5" higher than stock, and puts you about 1" back from stock, and the extra room for my legs is something I am definitely glad to have (but I'm still going to add adjustable highway pegs later).

A note about Mustang Customer Service:

These guys and gals are great. I called them because I wasn't sure what model might fit my needs best, and I was forwarded to Sue, a nice lady who seems to know everything about their seats (and about Harleys). She had just returned from Sturgis where they got to test out the Wide Solo on the 2012 models and she confirmed that the seat would fit my bike. After asking me a few questions about *how* and *where* the factory seat was hurting me, she recommended the Wide Solo, and now I am SO glad that I called to ask! I would have bought the 12.5" model and while I'm sure that model is very comfy, the wide solo is absolutely perfect for me.

Lastly: Before I put this seat on, I was wanting two upgrades for comfort: A better seat, and 12" progressive shocks for the rear. This seat makes such a huge difference, that I'm now questioning if I even want to upgrade the shocks still. I purposely hit some very nasty bumps around town tonight at full speed, and instead of a spine jarring "holy f*&K!" inducing jolt to the body that I was getting on the stock seat, the very same bumps were really not that bad at all. I may still upgrade the shocks later for fun, but new shocks just went from my "must have" list to my "kinda want" list. Heck, the new seat paid for itself on this point alone.

If you are still on the stock seat, this is the best possible upgrade for the ride-ability of this bike.

Pics on the bike:

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883-qdqhe.jpg

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883-xuktm.jpg

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883-ofadb.jpg

Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883-gbkik.jpg

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 08-23-2011 at 09:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (07-20-2017)
Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 PM
imoonichang
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, just what i was lookin for before buy mine

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Great review and thanks for making it. I had already picked out the Mustang as a possible upgrade for my SuperLow and you helped narrow the list to one!

Having messed with Harleys and their darned suspension for many years, my take on comfort is to start at the ground and work up. So my suggestion for further improvements is to consider a change of tyres to say Avon. They are more compliant, give a better quality ride, while also providing excellent handling and grip in all conditions.

Next up is indeed suspension. I already have longer Hagon shocks on my SuperLow, an increase in suspension travel from barely 2" to over 3", plus better damping. Next on the suspension front for me is weight-matched RaceTech springs and Emulators in the forks.

Hope that helps to advance the Sporty comfort front!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:12 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Great review and thanks for making it. I had already picked out the Mustang as a possible upgrade for my SuperLow and you helped narrow the list to one!

Having messed with Harleys and their darned suspension for many years, my take on comfort is to start at the ground and work up. So my suggestion for further improvements is to consider a change of tyres to say Avon. They are more compliant, give a better quality ride, while also providing excellent handling and grip in all conditions.

Next up is indeed suspension. I already have longer Hagon shocks on my SuperLow, an increase in suspension travel from barely 2" to over 3", plus better damping. Next on the suspension front for me is weight-matched RaceTech springs and Emulators in the forks.

Hope that helps to advance the Sporty comfort front!
Yeah, I used to run Avons on my Warrior once the stockers are worn out, I may switch back.

Just took some pics of the seat on the bike, will upload those in about 2 minutes...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

Love the Vintage Wide...glad to hear that you're happy with it also. I think it looks good on your bike too, nice scoot.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the look of that Mustang seat. what was the price?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mich
Come on, you can find that out for yourself! Mustang has a great website and you can get their products new off Ebay at reduced prices that are worth looking at.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mich
Definitely visit the mustang website: http://www.mustangseats.com/Default.aspx

But for the record, the seat was $269 and I got shipping for $1 because I ordered by phone (they offer you $1 UPS ground shipping on all phone orders to help ensure you are ordering the correct seat for your needs).

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
trpagp
Cruiser

That looks pretty sweet. I rode mine last night for the first time with the stock solo seat and it put me about 1" closer to the tank than my two up sundowner seat does so looks like I'll be getting me a new solo seat. This is the exact seat I was going to get. I've had Mustangs on several of my bikes and they are the best!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Vitric
Cruiser

I like the look of the solo seat on this model. I went with the Sundowner for the two up capabilities. It doesn't look as nice, but then again your butt doesn't care what it looks like, right? I'd also strongly suggest highway pegs if you're going for comfort, since they are adjustable. I got my highways before I changed out my seat and together they will dramatically decrease your level of fatigue.

Quick Reply: Mustang Wide Solo review for 2012 Iron 883