Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this work?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011 | 10:26 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbyun
Just to be clear, I'm in no way advocating odometer fraud or anything but simply trying to see if unplugging the speedo with disable the odometer counter. That's it...simple science project.

Don't worry about the legal and morality aspects as I'll make my own judgement and if that happens to be wrong, I'll pay the price for it. Implementing the above is illegal and immoral...but last time I checked, I didn't get the memo that we couldn't discuss it and theorize about it.
I am not worried at all, just giving some friendly advice. No need to be a douchebag. You asked, I answered to the best of my ability, then added that I personally would steer clear of doing this. Feel free to do what you want though, it is a free country.

Old 08-22-2011 | 10:58 PM
jbyun
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
I am not worried at all, just giving some friendly advice. No need to be a douchebag. You asked, I answered to the best of my ability, then added that I personally would steer clear of doing this. Feel free to do what you want though, it is a free country.
Thanks. Your input was greatly appreciated!

My friendly advice: remove the ***** from your seat...you'll be less uptight/grumpy/serious about posts that weren't intended as a personal attack towards you but rather a reiteration I posted as I felt my original post didn't do a good job of just focusing on the main question without getting sidetracked by all the opinions on this forum regarding legality and moral issues. But feel free to leave it on, it is a free country.

Old 08-23-2011 | 12:28 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

You know what, you are just an ***. Take it for what it is worth, I am done. You asked a question and I answered it to the best of my knowledge, and simply added my opinion. You are right, it is a free country, and I was free to reply. I was not taking the high road or preaching morals or laws. I was not talking down to you or taking the high road, but you took it personal and made it personal. Pathetic. Obviously you would not have gotten your panties in a bunch if you did not intend on doing this, and knowing that it is fraud. Grow up.

Old 08-23-2011 | 02:04 AM
harvema
Cruiser

someone said something about tipping it, doesn't the bike have a tilt=killswitch thingy built into it?

Old 08-23-2011 | 02:44 AM
MrCookie
Tourer

I know they don't have a tilt type kill switch for '94. and pre ECM you don't have to worry bout any codes when you disconnect the speedo. But personally, I would not disconnect it. I prefer to keep track of my miles for maintenance. Spent half the summer off my bike cause I was getting my speedo cable remade.

Old 08-23-2011 | 03:22 AM
SGT Z
Intermediate

I don't know much about bikes, but you can do this for cars. I did it on my first car because I was making a repair on the dash and had to use my car mid-dash. The speedometer didn't work and no miles were added. While we were in Haiti last year the speedometer on one of our HMMWVs stopped working, plus the odometer appeared to be broke. Closer look showed that there was a coiled wire very similar looking to a very thick bass guitar string going from the odometer to the transmission that the end broke off. The ends of the cable are square shape, which fit into place like a square drive screwdriver. The cable spins, which turns gears that add up the miles on an odometer. You could probably use a drill with a square drive bit and reverse the miles on the odometer in the same way, but highly illegal. Now, this is all true for mechanical odometers and speedometers. Modern ones use magnets and pulses sent from the transmission (car) and wheel (motorcycle). Disconnect the wire and it's the same as disconnecting the cable on a old-fashioned mechanical speedo or odometer. Try this in a car and you're likely to get stuck in 1st gear in "limp home" mode. I don't know about bikes. Bottom line, it works, but don't do it.

Old 08-23-2011 | 07:43 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Sounds like I would not want to buy anything from the OP's buddy. Like was said the bike will run, but there will be a code an or codes stored and also the ECM will keep track of the mileage. Car's have been liek this for years.

Old 08-23-2011 | 08:53 AM
jbyun
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Sounds like I would not want to buy anything from the OP's buddy. Like was said the bike will run, but there will be a code an or codes stored and also the ECM will keep track of the mileage. Car's have been liek this for years.
I think this is very useful information for people who buy used bikes. If the odometer reading doesn't seem right, then you could always take it to a dealership and verify the odometer reading against the ECM to ensure that the previous owner didn't unplug the odometer for mileage fraud.

But at the same time, there seems to be a lot of bikes out there that are 3 - 4 years old with only 3000 miles so the tricky part would be figuring out when things are a little fishy

In any case, definitely an option to know about for the future.

Old 02-20-2012 | 07:50 PM
En4sir98
Advanced

I have a 2001 Sportster 883 with 3,000 original miles on it. I spent a great deal of time searching for an unmolested, factory stock, pre-2004 883 for those short rides around town instead of riding my Dyna. I bought the sporty last year from a friend who purchased it new and did very little riding. There are low mileage bikes out there, but the older they are, the more suspicious you should be.

Old 02-20-2012 | 10:36 PM
unclebobis1
Cruiser

I have aa question sorry for jackin thread . If I unplug my speedo to relocate it or replace it my bikes gonna show a code everytime I start it?

Quick Reply: Will this work?!?