Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this work?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011 | 02:59 PM
jbyun
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Jumped around a couple of sites and was able to get some info. Not sure if it's 100% accurate, but you CAN run without the speedo being plugged in. The Odometer will NOT show the incurred mileage; however, the true mileage is stored in the ECM and can be found out at the dealership with their diagnostic tools.

When you think of it, it would be a really bad design choice to have the entire bike go down if the speedo had a fault!
Makes perfect sense...

You don't want the bike to shut down when the speedo goes kaput for obvious reasons, unless there's some kind of mechanism so that prevents the bike from starting up with it unplugged but if the engine is already running, there is no effect. But sounds like that's not there.

Also makes sense that there is some kind of back up/secondary record stored in the ECM exactly for this reason. Wonder if you buy bikes you can request to have the odometer reading validated against the ECM reading kind of like a carfax report for cars.

Thanks for the info and now I know a little more about my sporty

Old 08-22-2011 | 02:59 PM
gfburke
Tourer

Yeah that makes sense. I assume the ECM also remembers "1-left side" or whatever it said to me that stupid day in the garage..
oops. caught her, no damage, so... i dont think that message should be there.. bleh.

Old 08-22-2011 | 03:08 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Another side effect from unplugging it is that your ECM will record
U1097 Loss of Speedometer Serial data EFI each time you start the bike,
which could cause some issues with resell and/or warranty claims later down the road if it shows a pattern.

I think it will also pop some voltage error codes in there.

Old 08-22-2011 | 04:53 PM
jbyun
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gfburke
Yeah that makes sense. I assume the ECM also remembers "1-left side" or whatever it said to me that stupid day in the garage..
oops. caught her, no damage, so... i dont think that message should be there.. bleh.
I laid my bike down intentionally (gently, of course) in my garage one time to see if I could pick it back up and I remember seeing that message too

I think it was something like "Tip Left" or something like that and I'm sure it's in the ECM somewhere but since I don't plan on selling my Sporty, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I think knowing the fact that I can lift the bike back up even without any adrenaline pumping was well worth the stupid record in the ECM. YMMV.

Old 08-22-2011 | 05:05 PM
gfburke
Tourer

ha, ya true. i had a brain fart and was being dumb. back muscles hurt a bit for a couple days after getting her up fast. lol
it was scary time. I think the bike died on it's own when it went down... probably?

Old 08-22-2011 | 05:13 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior

just my opinion that the guy that suggested this is a total jackass

who really wants to buy a bike that says 5k but really had 75k on it

Last edited by Nubz; 08-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2011 | 06:43 PM
jbyun
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nubz
just my opinion that the guy that suggested this is a total jackass

who really wants to buy a bike that says 5k but really had 75k on it
I don't know man...some of those crazy *** Craigslist postings that people share on the forum...probably be a better deal to buy the bike that says 5k but really has 75k on it than some of the postings I've seen on that thread

As for the jackass part...yeah he's kind of a jackass. He's from Germany. Explains a lot.

Old 08-22-2011 | 07:03 PM
3skulls
Tourer

Hey watch your mouth jbyun.

Old 08-22-2011 | 08:18 PM
jbyun
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 3skulls
Hey watch your mouth jbyun.
I always thought Zweydoff was Mexican...

Better work on my last name recognition skills

Old 08-22-2011 | 08:48 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jbyun
I don't know man...some of those crazy *** Craigslist postings that people share on the forum...probably be a better deal to buy the bike that says 5k but really has 75k on it than some of the postings I've seen on that thread

As for the jackass part...yeah he's kind of a jackass. He's from Germany. Explains a lot.
hahaha

Quick Reply: Will this work?!?