Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:55 AM
coastierider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bell helmets

Any sportster riders out there have any experience with the bell revolver modular helmet or the bell star? Trying to decide whether to go modular or ff and cant quite make up my mind. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 AM
HBRHMR
Cruiser

I have a Bell Star. It's my second one. The first one was retired after a wreck on the interstate.

As far as non-crash stuff: the lower vent has trouble closing and the visor has to be pushed up when I switch the tab to the setting with the little gap to defog.

Quick look at the website...the Revolver is only DOT approved while the star has the Snell 2010. If they were both Snell 2010 I'd go with the modular. If you've narrowed to those two and are safety conscience...I'd pick the Star.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

You might want to think about the Bell RS-1 also. I wear an RS-1 on all long rides. (The half helmet in my sig pic I wear on local rides and when I reach my destination and am touring around.) The RS-1 is great. It has great ventilation. I have the Transitions face shield so I don't have to swap out shields based on light conditions. It is DOT and Snell and is ALOT cheaper than the Star. Here is a good review of the RS-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjGrvPH_4o

I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore, where I have had great service.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by HBRHMR
...the Revolver is only DOT approved while the star has the Snell 2010. If they were both Snell 2010 I'd go with the modular. If you've narrowed to those two and are safety conscience...I'd pick the Star.
A DOT rating is sufficient for street riding. Some would argue that it's preferable.
http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
or
http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1022077
There's more, these are two examples. I'm comfortable with a DOT rated lid but everyone has to make their own decisions.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
coastierider
Advanced

I hadn't seen the bell rs-1, thanks for the vid review. My main concern with the helmets is having adequate ventilation. I'm in South Texas where temps avg upper 90's most of the summer. So naturally I figured a modular would be good so i can flip the lid during short hops. Of course I've never owned a modular so i dont know how they do with wind noise. having a Snell approved helmet isnt a concern as I do not do any track riding.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bell star, my favorite lid. Worn it for 11 hour days and no complaints.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

I rode the Bell RS-1 to Gettysburg and back on a day when the temperature was 103 degrees (plus humidity). The RS-1 was comfortable all day (only hot when stopped). I have a half helmet that I wear on low speed short trips and it is actually hotter than the RS-1 (the half helmet has a built in "Top Gun" style face shield so it has not vents.) I bought the RS-1 specifically because the ventillation was rated so highly.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM
RAL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
You might want to think about the Bell RS-1 also. I wear an RS-1 on all long rides. (The half helmet in my sig pic I wear on local rides and when I reach my destination and am touring around.) The RS-1 is great. It has great ventilation. I have the Transitions face shield so I don't have to swap out shields based on light conditions. It is DOT and Snell and is ALOT cheaper than the Star. Here is a good review of the RS-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjGrvPH_4o

I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore, where I have had great service.

Damn you man now I must have one!!

RAL

Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Sorry about that RAL!

BTW, I ordered my wife a Revolver tonight. She will have it on Thursday, so I'll be able to comment on it too. (She is claustrophobic and didn't like the head in the bucket feeling of putting on my RS-1, but I didn't want anything to happen to her pretty face, so I wanted her to have full face protection, so modular was the way to go for her.)

Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 PM
coastierider
Advanced

nice, keep me updated when you receive it. I'm also thinking about SHoei RF 1100 now. Tried it on, very lightwieght and great fit. still havent found a store nearby that carries the Bell.

Quick Reply: Bell helmets