Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron 883 chopped rear fender

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
bside
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron 883 chopped rear fender

i'm hoping someone can help me out.
i just ordered an iron 883 a couple weeks ago and being in canada, we get the screws on the chopped rear fender. it doesn't come stock so i'm looking to replace it. it's gonna end up costing a fair bit (US$420 on the HD site) with a separate side mount plate holder (US$185 in black). couple that with the black powder coat to match the iron look (it doesn't come in that color for whatever reason) and installation and i'm looking at probably upwards of $800 ... for a fender that comes stock on most other models. i'm wondering if anyone's got any thoughts on where i can get the chopped rear fender and side-plate assembly for a better price. also, wondering if anyone has any idea what the part number might be on the side-plate mount in the pic below.
any help would be greatly appreciated ... thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails iron 883 chopped rear fender-plate_mount.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
rjm729
Cruiser

You can find a side mount plate holder on ebay for less than 100 and you can chop the fender for the price of a grinder and a metal cut off wheel. It's pretty simple. If you are looking to give money away. I am sure somebody will take it.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Rev. V!
Cruiser

If you can work some sheetmetal, you can always do what I did....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ebay-find.html

Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take off fender. Chop struts. Chop fender. Remount lights. Chop existing plate holder or make one or buy one for 20bucks on egay. Done.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 AM
bside
Novice

thanks for the tips guys ... rev.v, nice metalwork on that dinged up fender! looks great! damn i wish i was that handy.
i would consider chopping the fender ol' school, but part of the problem is the taillight assembly is totally different on the canadian model. it doesn't come with the edge-mounted light so i'd still have to dig that up somewhere, along with the side-mount plate. btw, thanks for the ebay tips on that. good to see there's options.

i've attached a pic of the canadian model stock fender. any thoughts, feel free to shout 'em out.
cheers

Attached Thumbnails iron 883 chopped rear fender-canstockfender.jpg  
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Rev. V!
Cruiser

Well, unless there's a law against it up there, or you absolutely really HAVE to have the lip light, why not go with a tail light on the plate mount?
You can find those pretty cheap on ebay, light and bracket in one package.
As for the fender, just chop it.
Once you actually commit, and the cut is an inch in and there's no turning back, all the apprehension melts away...heh....

Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM
bside
Novice

Originally Posted by Rev. V!
Well, unless there's a law against it up there, or you absolutely really HAVE to have the lip light, why not go with a tail light on the plate mount?
You can find those pretty cheap on ebay, light and bracket in one package.
As for the fender, just chop it.
Once you actually commit, and the cut is an inch in and there's no turning back, all the apprehension melts away...heh....
i like they way you think, rev ... just commit and see it through.
i did see the plate mounted tail light assembly on some of the ebay options. just need to confirm with transport canada (who are the reason for this fender nonsense to begin with) whether that's cool. i swear, the canadian gov't must be bored to come up with this ****.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

What I did was install the tail/turn/brake module to convert my rear signals to signals & brake lights.
Then used a dremel to take just enough fender off to allow the plate to stay on the back but still give me that "nightster" look with no big ugly tail light..
I finished the raw edge on the fender with chrome door edging for cars.
It made me nervous just having the signals act as brake lights so I picked up a LED strip light and mounted that under my storage bag just above the licence plate and it's very bright so cagers are sure to see it (this also makes you legal having a center mounted brake light in Canada).
The other thing to be totally legal is a licence plate light, I bought a set of lighted licence plate bolts made by Kurakin (not sure of the spelling), they light up the plate nice and legal and really look cool at night.
You can see most of what I'm talking about in the photo gallery below my signature.
If you want more detailed pics of any part of the job let me know.
If your curious on cost; signal module $87.99, LED strip light $14.00, chrome door edge $9.99, five dremel cutoff blades $9.99, lighted licence blate bolts $16.99 = $138.96
I thought about this for a long time before getting up the courage to do it but once I got started it only took about four hours and I love the way it turned out.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 08-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
bside
Novice

guys ... thanks so much for putting my brain on the right track. really appreciate all your tips and suggestions.

hotlap ... nice work on the fender. and thanks for the tip about the center mount light being a legal thing in canada ... had no idea.

so it looks like i'll be going the "chop-it-yourself" route since i've found the edge light (P/N 73420-1) on ebay for $75-90!! couple that with the HD side mount plate holder (which i found for $140 on ebay) and bob's your uncle for under $250 ... you just saved me hundreds of $$$'s!!

nice one ...

Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
bside
Novice

btw, bmxatv ... your ride is sick!! don't know if i can get away with that much fender chop in stodgy canada, but it looks great. and good thinking on pitchin' the front fender too.

Quick Reply: iron 883 chopped rear fender