Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be flattered -- or insulted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
It won't DIE!!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MikeZ
I'm new to the forum and I've read all of the informative (and amusing) threads detailing whether Sportsters are chick bikes. My intention is not to rekindle the debate and annoy everyone. But twice in the past week, a couple of Harley owners admired my SuperLow and said, "Nice bike. I just bought my wife one."

Well, they have good taste, I suppose. But the starter bike/chick bike undercurrent is more annoying to me than I had imagined.
I guess it depends on how the comment is intended. My wife has a Sportster and she loves it. But I ride it all the time too, its a great bike. I'm getting older so I enjoy my geezer glide for the longer rides, but I'm not too old to enjoy something lighter and quicker when I get the opportunity. So if I made that comment to someone it would be a compliment.

My youngest son came by my buddy's house one night and said "dad, you forgot your phone, mom called and said you need to bring her bike back she's going for a ride".

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with buying a Low, think of the money you will NOT be spending on a "slam kit" ;-).
And as mentioned before, if it makes their "rocks" larger by knocking your ride- Oh well. Good Lord knows it prolly ain't their riding abilities helping their egos!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask them if they want to run 1/4 mile for pink slips If its a stock BT you will have two bikes. If not...well you may not have to worry about riding a "girls bike"

RAL

Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
RAL
Cruiser

Had a buddy that had an ol Super Glide. He loved that bike. After he got married he bought his wife a Sporty....man was he pissed, she was always making him eat dust

RAL

Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nubz

Just sayin

Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Clarification

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Why are you standing around in a parking lot talking to a bunch of loosers when you have a beautiful brand new bike you could be out riding?
Guys, thanks for your replies. By the way, I wasn't hanging around a parking lot today when it happened. I was riding when I saw a guy on the shoulder with his Street Bob, so I pulled over to see if he was okay. He had just been pelted in the face by a wild turkey on a country road here in South Jersey as he was cruising at 55+ mph. He was fine -- the bird, not so much. Thought this was ironic because one of the posters mentioned turkeys. Maybe he made the wife comment because he was still shaken up by the bird incident? Regarding pictures, I posted a shot of the bike a couple of weeks ago. Do I need to attach a JPEG each time I post to build cred around here? LOL

Have a good week everyone. Sorry to stoke the flames again -- I thought I was approaching it from a different angle . . . but whatever.

(Appreciate the baseball references, BTW.)

Be safe,

Mike

Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
BowlinBiker
6th Gear

I get the same thing from the guys I work with, about the girls bike. But I like what I have, I don't really care what others think. And they don't want to race because they know that the sportster will hand them their rear end!!! Long Live The Sportsters!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, my last bike was a well customized Fat Boy with Andrews cam, S&S carb, Dyna ign, Keith Black pistons, and a few other things I can't remember. I now own a 97 Custom Sporty, and really think I enjoy riding it more than the BT. Much more nimble, and just about as fast.

Quick Reply: Should I be flattered -- or insulted?