Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 883 Brake issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewayzls1
Hey, I did'nt come on here and ask a simple question only to be answered like i'm a complete idiot. I'm more than confident in my mechanical ablities or I would not have taken it apart to start with. I'm laid off and cant afford a service manual or to pay and have it done for me. I would not pay to have it done when I know its something I can do. I just asked for advice on how its done. I am working on a 2005 883. I don't know how this thread turned into working on an earlier model. This is what the caliper looks like:

This is the bolt im talking about

I tried to unscrew it but it acted like it wanted to round it over with the screw drivers I tried with it.
The one on my '05 requires an allen wrench, much easier. It is probably loctited in place as it should be ...mine came loose and chucked a pad while setting up for a sweeper

Be careful when re-installing that pin and the rear slider bolt, they are both easy to cross thread, read the instructions in the manual or pad kit! The two slider bolts that hold the caliper have to be alternately tightened into place, else it will **** and cross-thread (ask me how I know )

The retaining clip just fell out when I removed the caliper. It looks like this :

I knew I should've posted pics
That retaining clip sits in the carrier (on the swing arm,) under the center of the caliper. It should be obvious when you figure out the orientation (drops right in place.) I had initially thought it was the one that sits inside the caliper, spacing the pads. That one is usually missing from most bikes that had brake service, and is not included in the pad kit. It is a separate item... and is a beotch to install because it keeps falling out.

Last edited by John_K; 08-05-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
stsid1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That the same as mine. To get the caliper off get a 12mm crows foot line wrench to break aloose the back bolt then you can use a open end wrench to get it out, reomce frt. bolt and it's off. The clip will only snap back into the top of the caliper one way, it should have some wear makes on it. When mine fell out tuesday in went ( what tha heck its that). That cap screw that you have in the pic. has to come off the get the retaining pin out. Get a tight fitting screw driver. About doing it yourseft, I'm the same way, just mounted my own tires.