Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tire and brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tire and brakes.

This will be my first attempt at installing a new front tire and brakes on my sportster.Sunday i got the front tire and front brakes off.Now im just waiting on the new tire and brakes to get here.Wednesday hopefully!!Although the back brakes look like a different story !Any you guys know if i can remove the rear caliper without removing the rear axle?
Just be nice to know before i get started on the rear.
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced

The rear caliper is pretty easy to take off except for the pins that hold it to the mounting bracket. There's red loctite on those so they're pretty tight. Be careful not to round them off or it'll be a real pain.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced

by the way, if you're just replacing pads, it's not necessary to take the caliper off.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I've changed the rear pads with the tire on and off. For me, I've found it a much easier job with the wheel off and out of the way and now just schedule the rear pad changes when I'm replacing the rear tire.

The Fix My Hog DVD does a good job of showing you how to replace the pads with the wheel on though, along with all the other standard service procedures. A good buy IMO at $42.95.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Thanks for the info.I've already broken loose the pad pins(the ones that hold the pads in place) on the rear just to see how tight they were gonna be.As for the rear caliper i haven't tried to break it loose yet.I will be giving it a shot tomorrow hopefully if all my parts come.Is it necessary to re-apply loctite while reinstalling the pins?As for the front axle should i apply anti-seize or high temp grease before i reinstall it?
I must say it was fun finding a 12 point socket to fit these small pins

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The pins get anti-seize not Loctite. I also prefer anti-seize on the axles instead of grease. Axles that I put anti-seize on 70,000 miles ago, have never needed to be re-coated even after many R&R's. Grease works OK, I just think anti-seize does a better job of staying put.

Check your PM Inbox in a couple of hours, I'm sending you some more useful info. Don't disassemble anything else until you get the PM.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced

woodsy, the pad pin is different from the mounting pins(bolts) that insert into the mounting bracket.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
The pins get anti-seize not Loctite. I also prefer anti-seize on the axles instead of grease. Axles that I put anti-seize on 70,000 miles ago, have never needed to be re-coated even after many R&R's. Grease works OK, I just think anti-seize does a better job of staying put.

Check your PM Inbox in a couple of hours, I'm sending you some more useful info. Don't disassemble anything else until you get the PM.

Ok Thanks!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
woodsy, the pad pin is different from the mounting pins(bolts) that insert into the mounting bracket.
Yes i know.I just didn't want to break loose the caliper yet.I will do the rear after i get the front done.Just want to make sure i could get the pad pins loose before i removed the front tire just in case i had to take it to the shop.I have many years in car mechanics but never worked on a harley.Just want to do it right the first time..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

It won't let me receive a PM yet..Your welcome to email it if you wish.
woodsytattooman@gmail.com
Looks like the admin has to do something for me to send and receive private messages.

Quick Reply: New tire and brakes.