Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question re sportster ignition module

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:04 AM
streetbobjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question re sportster ignition module

I will shortly be having my 883 converted to a 1200 and i am getting the parts together. I would like to upgrade the ignition system and am looking at the sceamin eagle ignition module. Should I go for the one that is for the 883 or the 1200? Part numbers are different for each. Are the ignition curves different for for each. Alternatively. does anyone have any recommendations for a different make module? thanks

Old 11-12-2006, 11:20 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: question re sportster ignition module

ORIGINAL: streetbobjim

I will shortly be having my 883 converted to a 1200 and i am getting the parts together. I would like to upgrade the ignition system and am looking at the sceamin eagle ignition module. Should I go for the one that is for the 883 or the 1200? Part numbers are different for each. Are the ignition curves different for for each. Alternatively. does anyone have any recommendations for a different make module? thanks
What year is your bike? Regardless of the year, I would go with a Daytona Twin Tec module. I've got the TC88A and it has made a tremendous improvement. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on the SE modules. I considered them before the TC88A, but now that I've got it I wouldn't go without it.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:02 AM
ozaiss
Intermediate

I would leave it alone. I have converted my 883 to a 1200 with hi compression pistons, reject carb, and mild cams. The person that I talked to in daytona builds and drags sportsters. He told me that the ignition module in sportsters are industructable unless you go all out racing. I have never had a problem with everyday comute. I have dynoed my sporty and I put 72 hp and 74 ft-lbs torque to the ground. The big thing is to have your carb rejected correctly. This guy gave me alot of good advice because messing with ignition modules would not give you much gain for the money. Now if you were racing and we are taking about spending $100 to $500 in ignition changes for 1hp to 5hp at the rear wheel well then that is is big but as a daily you can not justify the cost espcially when you consider the cost of the dyno to get it right. Passing good advice and with 15000 miles without a hiccup.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:19 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: ozaiss

I would leave it alone.
+100

Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I'll go with the masses and say you really don't need it and won't get that much out of it. But to answer your question, if you did get one, I think the 883 model is the correct part for your application. For an 883-1200 project, jugs up is different but juggs down is still 883. If I'm not mistaken, 883's are geared slightly different. But I'm not a trained mech. If you decide to go that route, a phone call to a reputable indy or dealer mech should get you a no-**** solid answer.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:21 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If it were me I'd stay with the 'stock HD ignition', but would probably consider going with the ignition off a 2004+ 1200.

But I haven't worked on a 883, so I would need to check with someone "in the know" to see if there is any reason why a 1200 ignition couldn't be hooked up without causing any problems..

I believe the ignition from the 883 is set for the 'rev-limiter' to come on at around 5,400 RPM, while the 'rev-limiter' on the 1200 doesn't kick in until right at 6,000 RPM. (We verified that by hooking up some gauges and running a test on my 2005 1200C).

You don't need to be going over 6,000 RPM, especially if you are running stock 1200 cams, or even higher performance cams that operate efficiently on the street.

The stock cams aren't making any additional horsepower above 5,500 RPM, so the peak power curve drops after that point. I'm running some pretty high lift SE "E" cams, and even with those the peak power curve starts falling above the 6,000 RPM mark. Why get an ignition system that allows you to run at 6,500 RPM (or above) unless your engine is still making peak horsepower at that point.

The "Race Only Ignitions" (I guess you could call them) might give you a horsepower or two of additional horsepower at the higher RPM levels because of a more aggressive spark advance, etc., but then you have to worry about octane ratings of the fuel you are using.

Right now I can run 91+ octane non-blended gasoline, but if I go any lower I have to worry about pre-ignition, especially during the hot summer months.

I'm running the stock 1200 ignition, and it works perfectly fine, even with the engine modications we have made. I wouldn't even consider changing it out unless I was setting the bike up for track only use..

Old 11-13-2006, 06:28 AM
francos
Cruiser

As XL OCD said , Daytona Twin tec .

Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

Yes, and I should mention I'm running .551 cams and Stage II heads... that may be why I see such a benefit w/ the module.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:54 PM
streetbobjim
Cruiser

thank you kindly gentlemen. i think i will stay as is for now and see how it goes, theres always something else to spend ones money on.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

I discussed the upgrade on my 91 883 with Harley. Initially they refused even to do it cause the bike is so old. After they got a good look though, it only has 9800 miles and the engine is fine. So, after I fended of the racing upgrade they quoted me the simplist job of replacing the jugs, pistons, jets and strongly suggested an ignition that is good for the 883 and the 1200 at the flip of a switch. It's NOT the Screaming Eagle.

A second outfit quoted the same without the igition upgrade.

So, I get the impression it may not be necessary - but you know the Stealer.

Quick Reply: question re sportster ignition module