Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcoming 1st time rider. Iron?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
N49ATV
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in reading around the web and there is a general consensus that if you like the iron style and feel get it and save the money over the 1200s. Then slap a screaming eagle kit on it if u want warranty or other brand if you don't care and your still under a 1200s price point. Though I have no issue going 1200 if I see something I really like or don't like the iron when I take it for a ride.

Also what's the deal with buying new in the USA? One of the guys we will ride with already has a bike and he said when he went down from Canada to pick up his bike he couldn't buy one new had to take a used bike? Is that a hd thing to keep sales in Canada? Any thoughts?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

iron's a great bike and from what i seen with my own two eyes they move pretty freakin good with a set o pipes and intake maybe a power commander. i'd go that route first, see if you like the power and save the money for right now. i come from a long history of bikes, atv's you name it and it all relates in one way or another. welcome aboard and enjoy that bike!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Vitric
Cruiser

I log mine. I'm 20, 6'0" and 250lb. I think it could be more comfortable as I like to go for long distances, but that's nothing a set of apes and highway pegs can't fix. I also beat many 4 and 6 cylinder cars with it, and some V8 trucks, despite my weight. It's not the fastest thing but I think you'll be surprised at how well it moves for having 38whp lol

Old 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't think it's necessary to buy a smaller bike before getting a Harley. That is a waste of time and money.

The 883 is a great bike, period. I'm not going to say it's a "good starter bike" because I know people starting on many different bikes.

THe power of the 883 is sufficient for me, and the lightness of the bike (compared to other Harleys) makes it a pleasure to handle.

Plus, I find the 883 to sound better than the 1200 aha.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take a class if you haven't already just to become comfortable on 2 wheels, or at least practice on a smaller bike if one is available. Coming off of a 4 wheeler will definitely help some. The Iron suits a lot of people just fine, plus the insurance is probably a little cheaper. Looked at big twins this past year my premium would go up about 50%. Just something to consider. Otherwise the Nightster may be worth looking at too since it already has the 1200. It has plenty of giddyup, but I don't think it's overpowering. If you don't want to spend the cash on a new bike, definitely look for a used one. You can save a lot on used Nightsters and Irons. The selection may not be as good right now depending on where you live. But if you wait till spring when everyone gets the itch to trade in and upgrade there may be more to choose from. I have no regrets with mine. Just keep in mind it was not built with touring in mind. Dynas may be a nice choice if you are looking to ride a little further or 2 up a lot. Good luck on your hunt!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
N49ATV
2nd Gear

Yeah the insurance part is nicer on sub 1000cc units. I am taking a class right away prior to licence. One other guy and myself are going. I think he is booking today. The other few have their licenses already. Last guy we haven't gotten ahold of yet. Where we live isn't much of an issue as we are up in Canada and plan on heading down to the US to pick up 3-4 bikes. Chances are we will head down in the spring time anyway unless something really good pops up online.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Irontater
Intermediate

Originally Posted by N49ATV
Just in reading around the web and there is a general consensus that if you like the iron style and feel get it and save the money over the 1200s. Then slap a screaming eagle kit on it if u want warranty or other brand if you don't care and your still under a 1200s price point. Though I have no issue going 1200 if I see something I really like or don't like the iron when I take it for a ride.

Also what's the deal with buying new in the USA? One of the guys we will ride with already has a bike and he said when he went down from Canada to pick up his bike he couldn't buy one new had to take a used bike? Is that a hd thing to keep sales in Canada? Any thoughts?
Probably has to do with emissions

Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
z0mbi
Novice

I'm a new rider myself. Passed the course and bought myself an Iron883 about a month ago. I love it! Trust me, don't waste your time buying a small bike first, the Iron is very tame. It's fast and light, you're not going to have any problems riding it as a first bike. I've put about 1000 miles on mine since I got it last month (3 weeks ago?) and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I get so many comments on it, people don't think it's a Harley at first. I've got the sidemount speedo and drag bars and several other mods and people stop and talk to me about it all the time.

It revs high on the highway, and no windshield sucks in a headwind at high speeds. It's small, so it's tough on the ***. The solo bags for it are tiny, if you go anywhere for the weekend, you'll definitely need a backpack or some other kind of arrangement. Longest trip I've taken in a single ride is about 100 miles and it felt like my *** and tailbone went 10 rounds with a professional boxer. I could definitely see someone wanting something that winds out higher and has a larger footprint for taking long trips, but for a short-hopper this is absolutely the most badass little bike that Harley makes.

Oh, and I'm 5'11" and 250lbs. I fit on the bike no problem. I've also got forward controls on it... bought it like that, never ridden one with mid controls.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock seat is awful. I blame a lot of the "*** issues" with the stock seat, not really the bike so much. though the small shocks don't help any either...but that's what the bike is all about.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
3skulls
Tourer

Never rode, never took the class. Put a 100 miles on her the first night.
Just over a year old with over 20k miles on the stock seat.
Do it and never look back.

Quick Reply: Upcoming 1st time rider. Iron?