Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporster Choke

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 AM
ATX Sportster
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporster Choke

I have a 2005 Sportster 1200XLC and I just got my 15K tune up, and when I make a full stop, with engine at normal riding temp, when I release the clutch and turn the throttle the I get a puttering/choking feels like its running out of fuel, no forward movement, if I throttle more it back fires then rev's normally, this happens each time I make a full stop and only after the engine is warm. I am new to riding and I would like some feedback on how to fix this problem.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 AM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you've got a little crap in the carb. Pilot jet might be partially clogged. Those carbs are relatively easy to work on. You can run a cleaner through it without dis assembly and it might work, or you can pull the float bowl and clean the jets. Check on You tube for some vids on the operation.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 AM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by ATX Sportster
I have a 2005 Sportster 1200XLC and I just got my 15K tune up, and when I make a full stop, with engine at normal riding temp, when I release the clutch and turn the throttle the I get a puttering/choking feels like its running out of fuel, no forward movement, if I throttle more it back fires then rev's normally, this happens each time I make a full stop and only after the engine is warm. I am new to riding and I would like some feedback on how to fix this problem.
Mine did that for the longest time, in fact I asked some questions on this forum about it. I changed the map sensor, no help, then the plugs and wires, no help, then the coil, no help, had the carb rebuilt, no help, finally I decided to take my bike to a shop, he replaced some timing sensor, seems it was breaking down when my bike got to operating temp. Total cost of that was $95 for parts and labor, if I can find the reciept it may have a p/n on it.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the crank position sensor... they are prone to failure and will mess up the spark timing as a result, usually after the engine is warmed up. Buy one and replace it yourself, it is a ten minute job. Located below the oil filter in the front of the crankase, one socket head cap screw to remove and an electrical connection to unplug under the frame.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 AM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John_K
Sounds like the crank position sensor... they are prone to failure and will mess up the spark timing as a result, usually after the engine is warmed up. Buy one and replace it yourself, it is a ten minute job. Located below the oil filter in the front of the crankase, one socket head cap screw to remove and an electrical connection to unplug under the frame.
Yep, thats what it was called, could not find my reciept for the p/n but thats it, my bike runs like a champ now...

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 AM
gfburke
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove the airbox, shoot some carb cleaner in there when running it. rev when you shoot it in, it will want to die.
I did this on my older carb bike... forgot to winterizzz.. oops.
But ya sound like a clogged needle. or this is what is was for me. this worked mostly, but mine was really clogged.

If that don't work, craigslist workes. dude came over, pulled carb, took it and cleaned it. $30
Hey will only do so much.

Last edited by gfburke; 08-01-2011 at 03:24 AM.