Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell did i do wrong? i almost died

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:16 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default What the hell did i do wrong? i almost died

For christs sake! i am trying to put on a battery tender, i unhook the negative lead from my battery first, then unhook the positive. I then take the positive lead from the battery tender and hook it up then Boom! my long *** wrench makes the cross connect to the negative post while im trying to screw on the positive lead. That scared the **** out of me. It took a good chunk out of my wrench, not to mention a good chunk out of my negative post. Sparks went up to the ceiling. jesus christ. Am i going about this wrong? will this happen again when i hook up the negative lead? or is it just because my stupid wrench touched the negative side? I dont want to die, or blow up the battery. Also, can i use that battery now that a chunk is taken out of the negative side?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: What the hell did i do wrong? i almost died

ORIGINAL: saltlick

For christs sake! i am trying to put on a battery tender, i unhook the negative lead from my battery first, then unhook the positive. I then take the positive lead from the battery tender and hook it up then Boom! my long *** wrench makes the cross connect to the negative post while im trying to screw on the positive lead. That scared the **** out of me. It took a good chunk out of my wrench, not to mention a good chunk out of my negative post. Sparks went up to the ceiling. jesus christ. Am i going about this wrong? will this happen again when i hook up the negative lead? or is it just because my stupid wrench touched the negative side? I dont want to die, or blow up the battery. Also, can i use that battery now that a chunk is taken out of the negative side?
Your wrench shorted the battery that caused the sparks and shock. Do one post at a time and let NOTHING hit both at the same time!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 AM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery is probably OK if you got off it quick. 12volts will surprise you if you get across you with a wrench but it won't kill you.
Happy wrenching.

Olesalt

Old 11-11-2006, 02:00 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

That's why it takes years to become a Certified mechanic lol. S h i t happens though, I have been working in the automotive repair for over 16 years and I have done what you just did, no worries. I say the battery should be ok but your wrench........ Just be careful next time, remember one thing, the chassis of the bike is ground, same as the negative terminal on your battery, if you connect the positive to ground while the battery is connected, short circuit. Whenever you work on electrical, disconnect the negative terminal. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2006, 02:42 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrap your wrench in electrical tape.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to agree with you! If there's an honest mechanic out there, we've all done something similar. Good lesson though, hugh?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 PM
sporty1200c
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the voltage you have to worry about, it is the amperage!

Old 11-11-2006, 08:38 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have gotten hit a bunch of times at work, wires that are not supposed to have current through them but, have open eletric wires laying acrossed them someplace......it is quite surprising, especially when you get bit

Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: sporty1200c

Its not the voltage you have to worry about, it is the amperage!
Exactly, ground the spark plug wire your finger. 20,000 some volts won't kill you but it will give you surprise for sure. lol Alex

Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

ha ha well i saw that wrench and thought to myself "that could have been a chunk out of my finger. ha ha yeah i wont do that again. Hey did everyone here know what a pain in the *** it is to undo the battery terminals? why is the battery backwards? very hard to get to.

Quick Reply: What the hell did i do wrong? i almost died