Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar swap DIY or let a Indy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 AM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bar swap DIY or let a Indy?

Hey guy's I am looking at changing my bars to a set of RSD Short Stacks and have a few questions.My local HD shop wil sell me a set of short stacks but will not install them because they are not genuine HD bars( guess they don't need the money in this economy LOL)So what kinda job am I looking at?I want to wire the bars internally but not sure how to rewire once all is said and done.Do the wires unhook from the switches or would I have to make cuts and solder or crimp my wires back together and shrink wrap?I am mechanically inclined(HVAC Tech wiring soldering etc)and I do all my maintenance on my bike and autos.Would this be something to tackle myself or let a INDY do it?I have seen some bars pre wired from the factory but most are in the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range,little more than I want to invest.Tips suggestions would be cool.Thanks Roger

Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the wires connect inside that plastic thing under the tank, you can unplug them and remove the control switches with the wires and install them into your new bars by removing the pins from the connectors, just make a diagram of each wire in each connector. If your wires are too short for the new bars it would be easier to extend them by cutting and soldering and shrink tube just be sure to stagger the connections.

Since you are used to dealing with the smaller wiring with the HVAC controls, it shouldn't be difficult for you to do yourself, just take your time.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing the bars themselves are rather easy. Take your time and make sure you don't rush the job. Drilling the bars should be pretty straightforward if you have the tools and the inclination to do so. As far as internally wiring them...well, they connectors unhook from the control housing. I haven't done it myself but it doesn't seem too painful. I suggest making them with take or something so it's easier to put them back where they came from (I'm colourblind, so this would be a must).

All in all, with your skills, this should be pretty easy.