Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
25.93%
11.11%
3.70%
7.41%
7.41%
14.81%
0%
29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Passenger Age. What age is old enough to ride on back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:22 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Age. What age is old enough to ride on back?

I know the jokes are practically writing themselves but....

My daughter is 6 years old and has ridden on back a couple times, just slow around the neighborhood. She really wants to go out on "the big road" but I feel she may be too young and my wife won't hear any of it. I tend to agree. My neighbor's daughter is 9 and his wife won't let their daughter ride on the back of his bike yet.

I remember riding on the back of my dad's Ducati as a kid and I really loved it. It sparked a lifelong interest in motorcycles, particularly twins.

So, what's a good age to let them ride on "the big road"?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Passenger Age. What age is old enough to ride on back?

My wife will kill me if I take my son or daughter for a ride.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

I don't know that this is an age question so much as a size question. My daughter rides on back sometimes and she is 7. I told her she had to wait until she could sit on the seat and have both legs reach the passenger pegs. My 4 year old son can not reach the pegs so he doesn't ride. Plum pisses him off.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
russkrs
Cruiser

i got to go on my first rides when I was around 5 or so... I was about 10 when my uncle laid a bike over with me on it going around a turn on a mountain road. Then my dad got a goldwing, and it was his (our) primary transportation until I was about 14 when I became too cool to ride on the back of an old man's bike... haven't sat on a goldwing since... lol

Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Unamed
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my nephew who is 4 around the block the other day but he sat in my lap and held onto my jeans. We just putted around for a minute or 2 but he liked it. On the back they need to be able to reach the pegs and hold on to me properly. Also they need full gear. Helmet, boots, long sleeves, pants, gloves. My nephew was wearign a bike helmet which while not the best I felt it would work at the speeds we were going. Plus I had decided that i would just stand up and let teh bike fall while holding him if anything happened.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I really think it depends on the area you live in.

People drive so crazy around here, I'd be afraid to take a child on the bike.

Somewhere with calmer people, 12 sounds about right for anything longer than a putt around the neighborhood.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM
olesalt
Tourer

I've always had one scoot or another..My kids started riding on the tank about 7 and twisting the throttle about 8. Even today they talk about the Honda 350, Triumph 650, Honda 750 and all the rides they took on the tank or on the back. Priceless times for a youngster that they'll never forget. You have to pick the right place...obviously not the interstate..so they can have an unscary ride with Dad.

Olesalt

Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

i use a riding harness for the grand kids 3, 6, 8. every one knows the risk-as long as you act responsibly and take all the precautions -go for it.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 PM
diablo666
Road Master

A quick snap of the throttle makes most kids hold on for dear life.If they do and can reach the pegs they are old enough.I regularly take my 8 year old on 40-50 mile rides.He loves it very much.We have a good time together but not long enough for me.My other 2 kids bother me all the time asking to go for a ride.One is 9 and the other is 14.That's just what I need more excuses to ride.Lol.I told my wife I was going for a little ride one day,it turned out to be six hours.She wasn't happy but now she doesn't care because she has her own Sporty and rides with me.She was actually mad because I didn't call and let her know what I was doing.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned

Should'nt this be regulated by the government?
My youngest is 7, her feet hit the pegs. I take her with me. She has never gone longer than 15 miles at a crack. She does good on the back. Now, I cant get her to stop asking to go.

Quick Reply: Passenger Age. What age is old enough to ride on back?