Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque specs for engine mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot! Do you happen to know if there's anything to be concerned with because of this?

Also, is it best to put some loctite on it?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
flat4fan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I don't know. I just tightened it up. (And the other side too.) I'll just keep an eye on it after I ride it tomorrow. If it doesn't leak, then it's not a problem.
I just hit 5k, so I'm due for the service. Fortunately I bought the service manual. I was just looking up this same exact info. when I saw this thread. Looks like it's starting to pay for itself already.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:37 PM
flat4fan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadn't thought about loc-tite. I'm going to start with torqueing it first. If, down the road sometime later it still leaks, I'll look into it. This is my 1st Harley; still learning my way around it.

Last edited by flat4fan; 07-23-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 AM
hjc950
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X04D
One of the bolts that attaches the mount to the engine is starting to back off and spit some oil. I'd like to tighten it down before the damn thing flies out. Anyone know the torque specs?
There is no oil supply or return behind the bolt you are referring to, I removed mine and looked when I thought the same thing. Your rocker box is starting to leak, very common problem. I have replaced mine twice in 22,000 miles.

The only oil supply and return to the rocker box is up the through the pushrods, then drains back down the pushrod covers.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hjc950
There is no oil supply or return behind the bolt you are referring to, I removed mine and looked when I thought the same thing. Your rocker box is starting to leak, very common problem. I have replaced mine twice in 22,000 miles.

The only oil supply and return to the rocker box is up the through the pushrods, then drains back down the pushrod covers.
Gr....how much is this gonna cost me (parts, not labour)?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
hjc950
Advanced

Originally Posted by X04D
Gr....how much is this gonna cost me (parts, not labour)?
You can get the uppers (inner & outer) for less than $30 at the dealer, or Cometic. I have used both and would be willing to bet HD but the gasket from Cometic (exactly the same shape, color, & material). If your good wrenching, you can get it done in a few hours.

I would advise against using any silicone sealer as the "Beading" that can occur inside the engine may clog an oil line.

It would be nice if someone came up with a better gasket.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Ah, thought I'd have to replace the rockers themselves. I think I might, anyway, though. One of the holes is stripped right through (****ign chrome covers). I don't trust myself to tap it.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:14 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

What you said that I highlighted in bold is wrong. There are 2 oil return ports in the heads and they also go straight though the jugs to the crank.....

Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You can get the uppers (inner & outer) for less than $30 at the dealer, or Cometic. I have used both and would be willing to bet HD but the gasket from Cometic (exactly the same shape, color, & material). If your good wrenching, you can get it done in a few hours.

I would advise against using any silicone sealer as the "Beading" that can occur inside the engine may clog an oil line.

It would be nice if someone came up with a better gasket.
Cometic and James makes the best gaskets period....and neither makes them for Harley to resell as their own.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM
hjc950
Advanced

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Cometic and James makes the best gaskets period....and neither makes them for Harley to resell as their own.
FreebirdX

You are correct on the return ports, I looked at the flow diagram again in the FSM. A good diagram would have had the return ports drawn in "Phantom", but in this day & age most things leave a lot to be desired.

However where HD buys "Their" gaskets is not info known to "You", or anyone else out side the industry. My Observation was made by the material, shape and durometer. Also if you read the original post i said "I would be willing to bet", not that they "Did". However I stand by "I would be willing to bet" based on my observations.

If you have "Specs on "James Gaskets" I would like to know what they are as I have an 07, and an 08 Sportster and am still looking for a better "Gasket"

Quick Reply: Torque specs for engine mount?