Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Longer Stock Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No Longer Stock Sportster

V&H is top quality stuff Mac. I also installed the quiet baffles and they sound great.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OLE
That is just what I was going to ask. I was leaning towards getting those V&H slip ons with the quiet baffles..... they sound better
than stock do they? Louder but still cool?

Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you. I always envy people who are willing to change the status quo and do things that make them different. You not only have a hot running bike, you now have increased pride in owning it.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM
olesalt
Tourer

Hey Dr Cool,

The quiet bafles are 2-3db quieter than the stock ones.....but they're plenty loud without being painful.

olesalt

Old 11-10-2006, 02:36 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Olesalt, great to see this post bro. I am going to attempt this conversion myself this winter. Here are my questions if you have a minute or six.

1. Was a ring compression tool needed?

2. Where did you buy the 16 sided socket?

3. Any tips or tricks in the process?

I did my Rocker cover gaskets this summer. Took about 2 hours. I know I was pretty damn happy with myself after I got it back together and got no oil shooting out...or dribbling for that matter. So like you, this will be not only an experience but a pride builder as well. Thanks in advance for any tips you throw out there.

~Andy

Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 PM
olesalt
Tourer

Hey Andy,
I misspoke about the 16pt socket...it's a 12pt. but it should not be worn. I bought a new one because the head bolts are very tight and I didn't want a slipped socket to mess them up. The manual has you backing the bolts in 1/8 turn increments so I used a three foot cheater pipe for good control.
No ring compressor necessary. After installing the rings per instructions, I put the pistons in the jugs partway on the bench. When I was ready I eased the jug down on the studs, inserted the wristpin and the second circlip.
The biggest tip I can give you is read the topend breakdown and assembly sections in your Sportster Service Manual. It is one of the best written manuals I have read. Buy a package of circlips (4) to practice with and replace the ones that launch themselves into who knows where. Two of mine ricocheted around the shop never to be found again. More info: http://www.sportster.org/tech/evo-tech/heads.shtml .....click on tech.

Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Will you be installing cams...if so check out the Andrews N3 cams for 04 & later Sportster... http://www.andrews-products.com/ Click on motorcycle parts retail prices.

I'll be doing the cams and heads next year.

Any questions.. olesalt43@***.net

Old 11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: olesalt

Hey Andy,
I misspoke about the 16pt socket...it's a 12pt. but it should not be worn. I bought a new one because the head bolts are very tight and I didn't want a slipped socket to mess them up. The manual has you backing the bolts in 1/8 turn increments so I used a three foot cheater pipe for good control.
No ring compressor necessary. After installing the rings per instructions, I put the pistons in the jugs partway on the bench. When I was ready I eased the jug down on the studs, inserted the wristpin and the second circlip.
The biggest tip I can give you is read the topend breakdown and assembly sections in your Sportster Service Manual. It is one of the best written manuals I have read. Buy a package of circlips (4) to practice with and replace the ones that launch themselves into who knows where. Two of mine ricocheted around the shop never to be found again. More info: http://www.sportster.org/tech/evo-tech/heads.shtml .....click on tech.

Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Will you be installing cams...if so check out the Andrews N3 cams for 04 & later Sportster... http://www.andrews-products.com/ Click on motorcycle parts retail prices.

I'll be doing the cams and heads next year.

Any questions.. olesalt43@***.net
Actually, now I feel a bit silly myself cuz I knew it was a 12pt socket. (_8(I) DOMPH!! Anyway, wont be doing the cams. I do have the HD service manual so I will dig in to that baby. Where did you get your kit on eBay? I think I will do the same. I gotta have the 1200!!! I will attempt to document the entire process and then post it on here. Hopefully we can get it stickied. Thanks for the info and the links. Greatly appreciated!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 PM
olesalt
Tourer

Here's the site Andy... http://stores.ebay.com/HARLEY-DAVIDS...PORTSTER-PARTS

Lots of other goodies too.

Olesalt

Old 11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
olesalt
Tourer