Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are both my local dealers hatin' on the V&H Fuel Pak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM
tk44189
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are both my local dealers hatin' on the V&H Fuel Pak

I have a 2011 48. I have purchased a V&H Sideshots and Duke Airfilter. I have not installed either yet. I was talking to the service manager at my dealer one night and mentioned that I was thinking about using the Fuel Pak. He told me that its terrible and is nothing but trouble and that it hurts my motor. Of course he tells me to buy the Harley tuner fur ~450. I was at another dealer and got the same runaround. I know its the dealer but is the Harley tuner really that better or is it the same old Stealership tactics. I am assuming the Fuel Pak is what suits my needs, maybe I should look into another tuner? I just don't know. What I don't want is to damage my motor!

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Murdered_Iron_883
Advanced

The local HD stealership was giving a buddy of mine the same lines as you.. I believe the stealership is just trying to sell you a line of BS to be honest.. I have seen on this forum a couple times where people were not completely happy with the V&H Fuel Pac though either... May I suggest looking into X14ied's at www.nightrider.com, Do a forum search, it seems like a lot of people are quite pleased with those at a fraction of the cost of other fuel pac/tuners. I know I have them and my bike runs strong & smooth with the sideshots and heavy breather.. Good luck.

Last edited by Murdered_Iron_883; 07-15-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: can't spell too good... :)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2 of my local dealers are against it, because if it craps out, your bike will run like crap because it relies on the tuner that is mounted to the bike. The SERT has no on board tuner once it's dialed in, so there is no on board tuner that can fail. Well, it's hard to argue that logic. Another dealer informed me that if the FuelPak or any other non Harley tuner "corrupts" the ECM, you can kiss the warranty goodbye.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He did get the "nothing but trouble" part right just read around the forums

Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They want to sell you the HD Race Tuner. It's the same thing they always say. Only genuine HD products work on Harleys. That's it. Nothing else will work. Right? Not plugs, not oil, nothing. It's all about the dollars. What can they make the most off of? Bless em!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM
stev394
Advanced

$ pure and simple of couse they dont want you working on your own bike. In my experience I have installed many FP for customers and never had an issue some 4-5 years old now. Once a dealer tried to talk me into PC ugh cant tell you the issues I've seen with PC's

Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Murdered_Iron_883
Advanced

Originally Posted by mwegryn
2 of my local dealers are against it, because if it craps out, your bike will run like crap because it relies on the tuner that is mounted to the bike. The SERT has no on board tuner once it's dialed in, so there is no on board tuner that can fail. Well, it's hard to argue that logic. Another dealer informed me that if the FuelPak or any other non Harley tuner "corrupts" the ECM, you can kiss the warranty goodbye.
...Says the guy with a Fuel Pak...

Last edited by Murdered_Iron_883; 07-15-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeh..don't waste your money. As mentioned above, if that's all your doing is "bolt ons", just get X14's or the VIEDs. You start engine work, i.e. porting, cams, etc..then you'll need dyno time to do it right, you don't need all that if just changing the exhaust and A/C. Fuel curve just needs fattening up a bit.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the FuelPak. It would change mode values on it's own. It stranded me on the highway. It made my bike run like total ****. Tech support was weapons grade incompetent. Their answer to frequent decel pops because it richens up the fuel too much was to learn to live with it. Backfired through the A/C. My plugs were completely fouled. Ripped it out and just went to the dealer for the Stage 1 download. Runs like a champ ever since.

I have a good relationship with my service and parts department at my local HD. Been told to search elsewhere at times to avoid HD's gouging on things, so I have no reason to not trust them. They just work there, they don't own it, so they're not seeing my cash directly. They steer people away from the FuelPak and if they still want it, they make them sign a waiver in case it screws the bike up that they can't be held responsible. Too many complaints. Customers wanting overhauls or new engines and all they did was the same thing anyone does when they install it. Plug it inline with the ECM, calibrate it and close it up. And then rip it out a week later when the customer says it sucks donkey dong.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oops, I had a FuelPak...need to take that off my signature

Quick Reply: Why are both my local dealers hatin' on the V&H Fuel Pak