Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Slip Ons with stock air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 AM
avneeshj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle Slip Ons with stock air cleaner

Hi,

I am getting a new 2011 48 in a month. I want to install Screamin Eagle Street Performance Slip-on Shorty Dual Mufflers (Part# 80726-09A) on my bike. I am told by some friends that I WILL have to change the air cleaner to a Stage-I or Heavy breather to go with it.

Is changing the air cleaner compulsory or I can go keep the stock air cleaner while just having the slip on?

This will be my 1st HD and some advise on this would help a lot.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 AM
gfburke
Tourer

Well, i just 'would'. The k&N filter only for that bike is $42 shipped. minimum intake upgrade.

Last edited by gfburke; 07-15-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 AM
avneeshj
Intermediate

I am then told that changing the air cleaner would call for a remap. I am trying to postpone this for a little while. Also, getting parts here in India is a pain.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 AM
gfburke
Tourer

o. well i'm not an expert. ive just noticed some say you will want to have a remap, and some say no you dont. what im doing:
- cheap K&N
- knocked out baffles (tonight i did . about the same as slipons)
- getting the XiED to help run proper air/fuel

I dont plan on taking it anywhere.

Last edited by gfburke; 07-15-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

You can absolutely add the SE's without changing the AC or re-mapping. You will maintain the needed back pressure with no sweat. You will not, however, attain any increase in speed/power nor achieve any type of performance increase. You will simply be altering the sound of the exhaust note.

If you open the intake (AC change to free-flow type & re-map - i.e., intake part of Stage I) you would have to swap out the restrictive stock mufflers to allow the increased exhaust gases to flow with less restriction or risk devasting over heating and too much back pressure against the valves.

Just want a better sound? Go ahead and add the SE's with no other mods and you'll have no problems.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 AM
avneeshj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thumper26
Just want a better sound? Go ahead and add the SE's with no other mods and you'll have no problems.
Thanks so much for clarifying it.

Better sound is only thing I am after as of now. Maybe a few months down the line, I'll change the Air Cleaner (SE Heavy Breather) and get a remap. Will I need to change the exhaust at that point if I have this Screamin Eagle slip-on installed?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Thanks so much for clarifying it.

Better sound is only thing I am after as of now. Maybe a few months down the line, I'll change the Air Cleaner (SE Heavy Breather) and get a remap. Will I need to change the exhaust at that point if I have this Screamin Eagle slip-on installed?
Possibly, but not sure. My experience is with the original SE II slip-ons and they would NOT have to be changed. The "new " SE's are 49-state legal, so I suspect they may be more restrictive than the originals.

If you're looking for better sound now, and a performance upgrade later on (Stage I), try to find a set of original SE II's or another set of free-flowing slip-ons that won't need to be swapped out when you open the intake.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM
avneeshj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thumper26
If you're looking for better sound now, and a performance upgrade later on (Stage I), try to find a set of original SE II's or another set of free-flowing slip-ons that won't need to be swapped out when you open the intake.
Not possible here in India. And importing parts has its own hassles. I do like the V&H shortshots quite a bit and might get those later.

It's the current situation that has had me worried though but I am resting easy after reading your last post.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 AM
elkhunter719
Cruiser

Running SE II with stock AC no remap no problem runs fine.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres the deal. The SE slip on's suck, unless you want the bike just a bit louder then stock. You can run the slip on's and the stock AC with no issues at all. The 1200C i just got rid of had Rush slip on's and SE AC with not remap and the bike ran great, plugs did nto ever look bad whrn I pulled them.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Slip Ons with stock air cleaner