Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Suspension Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Skunky82
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Suspension Install

Just finished buttoning up the install of Progressive 412 12" HD shocks and their drop-in fork spring kit. I was really worried about accidentally stripping the fork caps but that was all for nothing. Taking them off and reinstalling them wasn't nearly as bad as I had built up in my head. All in all the whole process was pretty smooth but I'm left with a few questions.

I filled the fork oil and measured 5.5" down like the instructions stated but it was only about 10.5oz of oil. Did I measure wrong or is this about what everyone else has added?

I've been to most of the shops (to include Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha dealers) and couldn't find anyone that had Bel-ray fork oil in stock. After that I went to Whitt's HD here in Manassas and got the Screamin Eagle Heavy fork oil. I was curious as to what it's wt was since it didn't state it on the bottle. Asked parts manager...no clue, asked service tech...no clue, even asked the service manager, not one of them had any idea. Really can't fathom that they're selling and/or installing a product on customer's rides and they haven't a clue as to the details about it. Not only that but the guys in service acted like me asking them ruined their day. I don't think I'll ever go back to that shop again...f#ck 'em!
Anyway, after doing some more calling around Patriot HD in Fairfax told me that the Screamin Eagle Heavy is 15wt and the Super Heavy is 20wt, at least I got that figured out.

Planned on taking a ride out to Front Royal/Winchester area to see how she rides now but looks like the rain is moving in quick. Guess that'll have to wait till this evening or tomorrow. I can tell that the front end is stiffened up a lot with the new springs and heavier oil..hopefully it's not bone jarringly stiff.

I'll post an update once I'm able to take her out for a ride...

Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good job Skunky, I'm passing through your area Friday, early AM on my way to western Pa. I'm running the 440 standards in 13.5" length and Progressive with 7w BelRay. I got all the supplies from Dennis Kirk and J&P Cycles. Here it is ready for the trip

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Suspension Install-bagger-002-small-.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM
volks-man
Cruiser

which sportster do you ride?
how much do you weigh?
did you use the pvc spacers @ stock length?

i did this upgrade to my iron883 a few weeks ago.
i am only 150# and found that everything sagged a bit after a few hundred miles.
if you find the ride too harsh or the sag to little, just wait 100-200 miles and see if it loosens up. mine did and now i've dialed up the 412s from the lightest to the third preload and i'm seriously considering dropping slightly longer spacers in the fork tubes because my rider-sag is a bit too much now.

a great improvement over stock but some tweaking will be needed!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Volks, as opposed to yours mine have 11,000 miles on them now and so far have not sagged at all, I normally run the rears at 0 preload but with the addition of the bags and filling them with baggage I'm going to try it at 3 turns pre-load. I weigh 205. I installed the front spacers at their full 3" length.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,047 Likes on 1,859 Posts

I used the screaming eagle heavy and it took about 22oz total for both forks, I used a vacuum pump with a catch bottle rigged, and sucked the oil out the drain holes.

It feels just right for me, got rid of the excessive sag, bottoming, and brake dive, rides great.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People at Whitt's HD in Manassas are just a bunch of d#4ks. I've been there many times and never had a good experience, whether with parts or sells reps.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought my forks were way to soft since the travel is so short, and they used to bottom out from time to time. I asked the dealer what I could add, and they recommended the SE racing. Well, they don't bottom out anymore, as a matter of fact, they barely compress at all. I've had a couple sphincter puckering moments going over large bumps on the highway. I'm planning on switching to the "heavy" soon, I'm hoping it'll be a good in between.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Skunky82
Cruiser

So after 250 miles I'm really glad I did the upgrade. Difference in handling is night and day, to anyone considering this upgrade, DO IT!

I was surprised when I pulled the stock fork springs out and compared them to the Progressive, the HD springs looked so wimpy next to the new ones.

My only concern is the front end is a lil bit stiffer than I'd like. I might changed to a 10wt fork oil later on down the road but at the moment I'm enjoying the ride too much to get sidelined for another day.

Oh and since someone asked, it's a 2010 Iron with the Progressive 12" heavy duty shocks, drop-in fork spring, part#11-1527, used the 3" PVC spacer provided, and I'm 225lbs.

Thought I'd post of pic comparing the stock fork springs to the Progressive. Pics a lil bit blurry, sorry bout that, was taken with my cell phone.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive Suspension Install-fork_comparison.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 AM
badbs101
Road Master

Yup. Go with the lighter weight oil for a better ride. I've got the Progressive springs with 7 wt oil. No worries about bottoming out at all and a softer ride without being too soft.

The springs do soften up a 'lil bit with use too.