Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you love how helpful people are on this forum compared to HD mechanics?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

As ezmo asked is it still under warranty? if so, I would find another dealer and explain that the chain is coming into contact with the cover at the transmission input shaft end.
If it is not still under warranty I would remove the primary cover again and look for:
1- is the gear loose on the shaft allowing it to move out towards the cover?
2- is the shaft loose allowing it and the gear to move out toward the cover?
3- was the gear installed onto the shaft improperly, say an extra washer or shim installed thats making it sit too far out. (are the two gears perfectly alligned with each other?)
4- is the gear warped or running true?
If you can't find anything you could always try the old farm trick of installing two gaskets on the primary cover to space it out slightly farther from the gear & chain.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 07-12-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
GoCards82
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
As ezmo asked is it still under warranty? if so, I would find another dealer and explain that the chin is coming into contact with the cover at the transmission input shaft end.
If it is not still under warranty I would remove the primary cover again and look for:
1- is the gear loose on the shaft allowing it to move out towards the cover?
2- is the shaft loose allowing it and the gear to move out toward the cover?
3- was the gear installed onto the shaft improperly, say an extra washer or shim installed thats making it sit too far out. (are the two gears perfectly alligned with each other?)
4- is the gear warped or running true?
If you can't find anything you could always try the old farm trick of installing two gaskets on the primary cover to space it out slightly farther from the gear & chain.
I will give it to you guys straight up. I live in El Paso, Tx. Barnett's Harley (which is a sponsor of this site) is my local dealer. They are also the next closest dealer which is about 45 min away. Outside of them, it is a 3-4 hour ride to the next one. It is still under warranty. I had heard horror stories about Barnett's when i first moved here but they gave me a good deal on the bike. This on the other hand has me believing what I had previous heard.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

Then I would pop the cover and check the things I mentioned (and anything else you can think of),if you find anything snap some pics and contact HD customer service and let them put the heat on Barnett's.
If you can't find anything that looks wrong and your confident that nothing is going to fall right off or anything then try the double gasket thing, you can always take it back out and nobody will be the wiser.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

It is a sad thing in this day and age but many business owners have to choose between
1- Have high prices and high quality service after the sale.
OR
2- Have low prices and low quality service after the sale.
Most try to walk the line inbetween the two extremes and have decent prices and decent service but it doesn't always work out.