Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple nightster questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Melonbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple nightster questions

Well, I picked up my nightster a few weeks ago, and am loving it so far. I had it for a week, and then it went back to the shop for a few goodies I added. Nothing big, mainly a badlander seat so my wife can ride a bit with me, screaming eagle slip ons, and a few other minor goodies. But I am looking at a few more changes and want peoples opinions. I got the slip ons, but am still interested in other exhaust systems. I like the straight shots, but EVERYONE has them, including the one other nightster in town here. I'd like something along those lines, but a bit more unique. I want to add forward controls, do most people go with a kit straight through HD? Also, how far forward to they put you? I'm only 5'2" and I just touch flat foot on the bike, but I'm not digging the mids. Also I need some choices for handlebars. I need a bit of pullback, I'm just stretching a bit too far stock, but I'm not really into apes. Finally, the turn signals need to be moved, and I'd like to smoke them out.

I realize there is a search button, and normally I'd use it, but I work at a fly-in mine, and the internet is just way too slow and frustrating to try. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as pipes go. I have Bassani Pro Street drag pipes. I love them. They are side by side rather than one on top of the other. Figure out what measurements would work for your bars. Width, pullback, and rise, and try to find something that matches close to that. J&P Cycles has several pages of different bars. You can even buy some 1/2 inch pvc pipe and some elbow fittings and mock up some bars to get some measurements from. You may need to wrap some duct tape around the pipe so the bar clamp will hold it in place.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disclaimer: don't ride the bike with the PVC bars.
Hint: The PVC can also be heated with a propane torch and bent.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Bobber-Angel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Im you 3 months ago

Howdy mayby I can offer some suggestions as Iv gone through 2 exhausts 3 seats 3 sets of bars until i found what I liked.

I have Bubs pipes personally I wanted somthing different to V/H as every1 has them here downunder, and they sound awesom.

Bars Im 1' taller than you and know how you feel,I first added Santee Drag Bars in 32' so the width is the same as you have now but then a added 5'5 risers and just bolt on with the speedo housing which gives good pullback. But then,Ive always wanted a bobber so I thought why not turn the nighty into 1 so I am.

Be caustious on what exhaust you chose as you may not be able to run F/C, they just mount to the front of the frame,and buy something good as the chinese 1s crack. HD are good, as is Jaybrake.

So I hope this helps a little ? but i just call it Harley Tax we just keep on forking out the cash but its soooooooo goood
Cheers Angel

Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The V&H Big Radius also look great on this bike. Look around, there are some pictures posted.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
robosmurf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put some black slip on's with chrome tips on my Nightster. I really like the look of them. I really really wanted some Rinehart cross backs, those pipes look nice but I couldnt find them at a price I wanted to pay right now.

For the bars have you tried just moving them back some? Just loosen the bolts and roll them back and give it a try.