Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last straw from the dealership where I bought my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I never understand about these threads.

"Anonymous dealer #1 are idiots but anonymous dealer #2 treated me fairly."

Maybe just make a generic dealer rant thread? "I bought from the wrong dealer. I didn't know this because the many unhappy buyers before me posted anonymous dealer rant threads.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer says almost exactly the same thing.

If you wanna turn your own wrench - all is good keep records and ride on.

I said the same thing as well - see you at the 1000 mile check up to go over all the key items...
Being I am about to go on a run which round trip is 800+ miles putting me closer to 1300 miles when I asked the dealer what that would do to my warranty the response - Nothing you would still be close enough not to sweat it...

Moral - Some Dealers are leaches! Some are friends

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garandman
Here's what I never understand about these threads.

"Anonymous dealer #1 are idiots but anonymous dealer #2 treated me fairly."

Maybe just make a generic dealer rant thread? "I bought from the wrong dealer. I didn't know this because the many unhappy buyers before me posted anonymous dealer rant threads.

Yeah, I knew at least one person would have this view and I appreciate you posting your opinion. I considered naming the dealerships in question, then I thought I should only name dealership #2. I decided that plenty of people have had good experiences with dealer #1 and I could probably find people that have had bad experiences with dealer #2.

The deciding factor for me was that I hadn't been wronged, or ripped-off. I just found another ******* that I don't need to deal with. So I am just ranting about my experience. IF there is any help in this thread for anyone else it is:

Don't let some half-*** jack-*** at a dealership try to tell you something you know is bullshit and then hand them your money.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 07-09-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one tech tell me if I chopped my rear fender I'd void the warranty because I altered the frame. Same one who also told me that installing a Nash internal throttle in my bars also voided the warranty. I find in most situations like this it's best to just walk away, there's no proving them wrong in their eyes.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to hit the "certified" HD dude, with a clue hammer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

A little bit more lame terms:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

Abstract:

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.
In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Last edited by HotIceHD; 07-27-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot
First off, I had no opinion one way or the other which of the three dealerships near me I purchased my bike from when I was shopping for it. I went to the one that had it, thought about it for a week, told them I wanted it and they let me know it was sold but that they could locate another in that color.

They did what they said and got my bike in the night before I was to pick it up. They did the usual BS and tried to sell me the service plan etc., but mostly it was a pretty straight-forward transaction.

First experience with the service department:
I went in because first one, then the other rear running light stopped working. While I was there I talked to one of the tech's about my 1k service and lubricants. He told me that Syn III was better than AMSoil and that pretty much let me know that either he's been living under a rock or that he was assimilated by the "H-D only" collective. BTW; Apparently a filament had broken in both tail light bulbs and I couldn't see it when I pulled the bulbs earlier that day. Turn signals worked, brakes worked, running lights didn't.

Second and final experience with the service department:
I am close enough to schedule the 1k service but I am pretty adamant about using AMSoil for the motor, as well as doing things like inspecting the plugs, trans fluid, brake fluid check etc. myself. The SAME F'n guy is at the counter. He says: "If you do anything to your bike and you aren't a CERTIFIED H-D mechanic (pointing to his cute little patches on his sleeve) you will likely void your warranty, I can only recommend that you have all of your services done by a certified H-D technician." I thought he was laying on the lines because it was his job so I probed again with another fairly intelligent question: "What about the part in the owners manual that refers to the service intervals and had the key that states; 'Should be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, unless you have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically qualified'" ?

This guy tells me that "you can try to twist words around however you want, but if an H-D tech doesn't do it you are on your own regarding the warranty".

I've been building **** that goes fast in a straight line, around corners or both on 2-4 wheels since as far back as I can remember. My wall of shame has three parts on it that failed because of my negligence. It happens to the best of us, but to tell me I'm twisting those words around is RETARDED. If I have the tools, and I have the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (otherwise known as data) the only thing that could be questioned is mechanically qualified. Ok, so Carrol Smith I'm not, but I'm fairly F'n qualified to turn some wrenches and use the right threadlock, tq spec or anything else involved here.

MY RANT IS OVER. I will describe the conversation I had with the technician at the shop I wish I would have bought my bike from:

ME: I want to do most of the service myself, but I want you guys to check the steering head bearing, critical fasteners and the like, and give it a go down the road. I'd like to change my own fluids and such. I was told by this other shop that I would be voiding my warranty, though the manual states: "(red quote above)"

TECH: Yeah, that is no problem, if something fails because you cross threaded something or used the wrong weight of fluid your warranty wouldn't cover it but if you are capable of doing it and keep receipts/records you are good.

ME: That's good to hear, out of curiosity do you happen to have anything against AMSoil ?

TECH: That stuff is really good, lots of guys here use it. I saw that Erik Buell had partnered with AMSoil for their race team.

ME: I'm at 750 miles now, are you guys about a week out?

TECH: Yeah pretty much a week.

ME: Sweet, I'll call the end of next week and set up an appointment, thanks.

Hmm. If only they would have had a 48 when I called them, perhaps I wouldn't have given money to a company that employs a complete idiot. The good part is that when it's time to buy my GF a bike next summer I know where I'm not going. She is 100% certain of buying a H-D too.
Well if he said do your own work and use whatever you want for fluids ect. it would be like going to Mcdonalds and having them tell you you should go home and cook your own burgers. might be a good idea, but doesn't make McDonalds much money.