Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are forward controls better than mid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Swansea Jack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are forward controls better than mid?

Not long had the bike. Thinking of forward controls to stretch my legs a bit. Any thoughts on this - will shifting/braking be just as easy? Would the pipes have to come off to fit controls? Will the wide Screaming Eagle air cleaner get in the way? Will I wish I'd never bothered? I like the look of forward - always look cool to me. Need some help here. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Swansea Jack; 07-08-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 AM
SethProSTX
Intermediate

I have been thinking of the same thing, going to forward controls. What I'm going to do is get the foot extentions first and keep my mid controls. Then if I like the way it looks I'll get the forward controls. Worth a though, might save you $300 if you don't like it.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 AM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 48 came stock with forward controls and I love them! Really comfortable even riding in the city traffic. I like the stretched out feeling!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike came with forward controls and I'm very happy with it. Makes the riding position very comfortable and wouldn't imagine having mids. I'm afraid I'd be cramped being 6".

Old 07-08-2011, 05:49 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

depends how long your legs are.mine are 2 inches extended .real comfortable for my long legs.best mod i have done on my train

Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Depends how you define "better." Do forwards offer as much control over the bike? Not even close. Do forwards look better? To some people, but not to others. Are forwards more comfortable? On some bikes, to some people, but they do put a LOT more pressure on your spine, and will cause back problems over time (There are several people on this forum who will attest to the fact that I talked them into switching to mid controls, and they are now much more comfortable, as the back no longer hurts.). Can you ride as long with forwards? Hell, no. Unless, of course, you are a masochist.

Shifting and braking will be somewhat different, but you will get used to it quickly. Whether your pipes have to come off depends on what pipes you have, and what forwards you are putting on, but there is a pretty good chance that you will. The Screaming Eagle (Heavy Breather) does not get in the way. Whether you will regret the decision is something only you can decide. How do you ride? What do you ride? Have you made comfort adjustments to it (better seat, suspension, etc)? I've had both, and both can be wonderful as long as you recognize the shortcomings of each type of foot control. A better option, IMO, is to put highway pegs on. This allows you the advantages of both, but YMMV. I'm 6'0", and very comfortable with the stock mids.

Last edited by revid; 07-08-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:20 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Me personally, I like Mids but I have forward pegs for when I want to stretch out.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did the conversion on the wife's bike last night. Used the HD kit, and it worked out well. More comfortable to ride, just not as good if you're carving corners. Makes the bike a lot easier to move around if you're sitting on it pushing it with your feet cause the pegs aren't in you way. Also, shifting is easier due to the longer length of the shifter arm and the leverage point with your leg extended more.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM
davidearlcox
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, having only mid controls is not a good way to go because of my height. My XL Has the factory forwards,which are quite comfortable for me, even on long rides.

However, the best solution is to have the mids with highway pegs. This is the least expensive way to stretch out on rides, yet still have the ability to get your feet under you and relieve your tail bone.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,085 Likes on 3,645 Posts

I would have to say no...i wouold keep the mids and put highway bars with pegs that way you have the adjustability...

Quick Reply: Are forward controls better than mid?