Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are forward controls better than mid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike came with forwards. On numerous occasions riding into the wind, I envied people with mids. The wind was literally pushing my feet off the pegs. I feel like it wouldn't have been an issue with mids. My dad rides an 06' Super Glide. He had forwards put on it the day after he bought it. If you could see him on it, you would know that he was uncomfortable. He does not have long legs. His legs are almost completely straight out on it. But, he will not even consider mids. Doesn't look as cool. He has never said , but he doesn't have to. I know him too well. But lets face it fellas, at the end of the day, we all want to look cool. Right? If not we'd all be riding Honda's. Ha!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
jen79
Tourer

At 5'10" I prefer the forward controls. I was uncomfortable with the mids in class but much better with the forwards on my bike. Plus with my messed up knees (too many horse back accidents) the position is better for me. I think it is a personal choice.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM
xcore
Cruiser

Hey guys, I'm on mids and I think I would like to stick to them. However I'm interested to get apes or a handlebar that would make me stretch out towards the front. Will this position look weird with mids?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 AM

Not at all! I did this on my FXD, most 1% bikers do it. Sonny Barger insists it's the best way to ride. It's actually a very common look.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will not own a Sportster that does not have forwards on it. Mids are just too crampped and i'm only 5'8"

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default To Small

I had forwards on my 08 883 low. I didn't fit on the bike correctly without them. Seat, bars, foot controls (position) are all very personal and unique to the rider. What would be comfortable and safe to you could possibly be horrible to someone else. As far as safety goes, IMO if the bike is fitted properly to the you, that would be the safest setup!
I love to stretch out on the highway pegs when out and about, but when in local traffic I will keep my feet on the platforms, ready at the controls. There is no one correct answer, only opinions, and we all know about opinions!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 AM
lildee
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm super short (only 5 feet tall) and I have mid pegs. I need to be able to brace myself and stand on my pegs when I get launched in my seat because of a bump or seams on the freeway overpasses etc... (certainly a scaaarrrryyy a** feeling while riding at 75+mph!)

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I tried mids and absolutely, 100% hated them. Constantly hitting the pegs with my legs and getting the hem of my pants caught on them. I'm 6'. I would love to try rear-sets, but that's not gonna happen for a while.
Ditto! I am only 5' 1" and constantly caught my pants leg on peg or when putting my foot down. Almost caused me to drop my bike. Love my forward pegs with mini floorboards.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 PM
montelatici
Cruiser

If you have ridden normal (or racing) motorcycles for a long time and want to ride in a somewhat sporting manner in the twisties, I don't think having your legs way out there with forward controls is appropriate. You just don't have the necessary control.

Even the mids are far too forward for me, but then I road raced Yamaha GP bikes. I bought the very expensive Harley highway peg kit for my 2009 1200 and it gives me the ability to stretch my legs on long interstate sessions..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
volks-man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xcore
Hey guys, I'm on mids and I think I would like to stick to them. However I'm interested to get apes or a handlebar that would make me stretch out towards the front. Will this position look weird with mids?
Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Not at all! I did this on my FXD, most 1% bikers do it. Sonny Barger insists it's the best way to ride. It's actually a very common look.

when i first put the h-d mini apes on the iron i felt like an idiot with mids.
i was leaned over with the stock bars then the apes sat me upright. i likened it to sitting on a barstool pretending to ride a bike. very upright and unweildy.
i put forwards on and now it feels natural... and i dont hook a pant leg on the pegs anymore.

the combo i would not try is the stock bars/drag bars and forwards.

Quick Reply: Are forward controls better than mid?